Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler is heavily leaking through an "over-flow" pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

I know nothing about boilers so I was wondering if you could give me a hand. I moved in to a new flat a month ago (All eletric with boiler) and hadn`t got any experience with boilers before so not sure if what happens to my boiler is normal or not but I assume it`s not.

On Friday I noticed that my boiler is heavily leaking through what I assume is an over-flow pipe. It leaks for about 30min then slowly stops. It happened again on Saturday, then at night around 1AM on Sunday and now again in the morning. I didn`t notice it before so I assume it started of Friday (you can clearly hear it so I believe I would notice it if it happened earlier).

The water leaking through the pipe is hot and the water meter is spinning, I recorded a video so you can see exactly what I mean. I am a tenant so I want to inform my estate agency on Monday but before I talk to them I would prefer to know what is that.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Last edited:
Ok Mike,while everyone wakes up. You need to tell us the exact make and model of your electric water heater eg is it a dreadfull glen hill unit or an ..
Right I can see it’s a dimplex now.turn off the unit and switch water supply to it off. The water is splashing over the tundish gap not good. I am off to Remembrance Day thing but if no one else has it by time of my return then I will help
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thanks Rob, this is what I have got - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It`s Dimplex SCx175D - 175l capacity.

Now knowing the capacity and looking at the meter since Friday, it seems like this boiler drops the whole water when is fully heated, then fills up with cold, heats up again and drops again. It would match up with the meter since Friday, because I think it happened like 4-5 times and it used like over 1m3 of water when I barely used the water myself at all (2x shower, some toilet flushing and few dishes washing).

For the moment mike , turn the water and power off to the cylinder and find a local G3/unvented hot water cylinder engineer. Where are you ?

Thanks Rob, this is what I have got - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It`s Dimplex SCx175D - 175l capacity.

Now knowing the capacity and looking at the meter since Friday, it seems like this boiler drops the whole water when is fully heated, then fills up with cold, heats up again and drops again. It would match up with the meter since Friday, because I think it happened like 4-5 times and it used like over 1m3 of water when I barely used the water myself at all (2x shower, some toilet flushing and few dishes washing).
Hi back mike, this is way out of your league, it needs a visit as above and must remain off . The pressure bubble has gone so needs expert attention. This is the landlords responsibility if you are renting, if it’s leasehold or freehold down to you. Bite the bullet I am afraid
Rob Foster aka centrakheatking

Rob I'm in Birmingham. As already said, get a G3 unvented Cylinder Engineer. The reason is that a safety device is operating and these appliances need safety devices

Reply to Boiler is heavily leaking through an "over-flow" pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, i hope somebody can help me, i seem to have a leak from my GreeStar 30si boiler, it looks like it coming from the Siphon container, from the top, around where the Flue meets it, inside the boiler, i have noticed that there is an overflow pipe, yet, it seems that nothing can flow out the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock