Discuss Boiler condensation pipe into a shared gutter down pipe in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys just after a bit of advice..
I own a mid terrace house that has a shared gutter down pipe. The pipe is approximately 45cm inside the border of my property.
Would anyone know if my neighbour is allowed to have his condensation pipe running into this gutter🤔🤔
Many thanks đź‘Ť

Does it go to main drainage and not a soak away / run off ?

I wonder. Obviously there will be an easement (written or unwritten) allowing the neighbour's rainwater runoff from the roof to run along the gutter and discharge into the downpipe on the OP's side.

Assuming the neighbour is not running any new pipework outside of his or her boundary and the drain is a combined foul and surface water drain, then I wonder why the OP would want to refuse permission for the neighbour to also discharge condensate into that same gutter, although it may be the case that since there is no historical use of the gutter and pipe on the OP's side of the boundary for condensate, permission would need to be sought. The OP would do well to obtain legal advice from any free legal advice that may well be provided by his or her home insurance or trade union.

Understandably the OP may not be happy if they wish to use the downpipe for a water butt, if the downpipe is some material other than plastic that might actually be damaged by the condensate. If the pipe runs to a soakaway not specifically designed to take boiler condensate or to a municipal surface water drain then it should not be taking boiler condensate whoever owns it. Finally, if the neighbour is actually placing a condensate pipe on the OP's side of the boundary then that would also, I think, require permission.

The fact that the OP might have grounds to object does not necessarily mean he or she should, but that is another matter with which we are hardly able to pass judgement on.

From an aesthetic point of view. If I was the OP I would insist the existing rainwater pipe is tee’d and extended across the boundary in the same colour and diameter. Meaning the change in pipework from rainwater pipe to condensate pipe is located on the property that owns the boiler. It will look better and reduce issues for the OP with future maintenance.

Thanks all for taking the time for the advice much appreciated..My main worry was that numerous times in the past I have had to remove the drain pipe to clean. It covers 3 large properties for rainwater. That have loads of moss on their roofs...Now with this pipe it makes it more difficult, but that’s my neighbours worry I guess.. secondly with the condensation pipe penetrating the down pipe will it be more prone to blocking.. and as others have mentioned it would have been nice to be asked for permission..
Incidentally I’m not living in the house at the moment and it’s going to be up for sale soon. So hopefully it’s not going to be a deterrent for prospective buyers..
Thanks again...đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Reply to Boiler condensation pipe into a shared gutter down pipe in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock