Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler capped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG123

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Boiler capped for faulty expansion vessel, prv and filling loop??

Faulty prv that won't open? If so and with the filling loop being faulty (assuming it's pressuring the system) I reckon that's reason enough to cap.

If pressure vessel is faulty then the pressure will raise quite quick , the pressure relief won't open creating a dangerous scenario, don't see why filling loop but,,

A filling loop can be capped so nothing to do with that it's purely because if the boilers switched on and the vessels faulty it won't cope with the expansion of the water, in turn pushing the pressure up to the dreaded 3 bar and with no working PRV to vent the excess pressure giving a dangerous situation so Yeh CAP

Never seen a prv fail to open.

Seen plenty not reseal afterwards.

More clarification needed.

Sorry was a quick one there, I done some cp12s at a block 7 in total. All passed. Now another engineer has gone there 2 months later and capped the boiler for this. I now know the prv was opening slightly and leaking outside and the filling loop was stuck open... How this was re-pressurising the system I don't know as I always disconnect the loop and cap!!

He should have just disconnected the filling loop anyway. It's a requirement to always disconnect for this kind of scenario. But most just leave it. I think the person who capped it will soon tell them they need a new boiler?

Sorry was a quick one there, I done some cp12s at a block 7 in total. All passed. Now another engineer has gone there 2 months later and capped the boiler for this. I now know the prv was opening slightly and leaking outside and the filling loop was stuck open... How this was re-pressurising the system I don't know as I always disconnect the loop and cap!!

Mind u dripping outside although faulty is not a risk if it can be opened manually, I agree with croppie I've never seen one not open in 20 years, ( I know it could be possible though )

When doing a cp 12 the boiler rearly gets to max htg temp so not always possible to check expansion unless it rises quick

7,13 is more for heat onlys converted to sealed systems. Its an engineers judgement i guess, was he/she ex BG?

This ^

Technically it isn't on the gas side of the boiler too.

But if the prv was capped then boom

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me get this straight.
Expansion vessel burst or flat, filling loop connected & prp passing?
And for this some muppet capped the boiler?

Had this once on a Worcester 440. When I got the PRV out to replace it is was full of sludge and all other kinds of muck. I'm guessing something has got in there to jam it and not allow it to open.

Had this once on a Worcester 440. When I got the PRV out to replace it is was full of sludge and all other kinds of muck. I'm guessing something has got in there to jam it and not allow it to open.

How would carp stop it from lifting? Unless it was on the outlet side.

How would carp stop it from lifting? Unless it was on the outlet side.

I carried out my service as usual, checked the PRV and got absolutely nothing from it. I can't think of another explanation as to why it wouldn't discharge but it wouldn't. Replaced it and the new PRV worked fine. Like I said I've only come it across this once, it was the twist operated PRV and regardless of how many times I twisted it or if I twisted it to the open position and held it there no water would leave it. And yes before you ask the boiler was full of water and sitting at 1 bar.

I have had an old worcester that had a faulty prv , pressure kept rising was expecting it to discharge and it never did.
First time i have had it replaced it and worked fine so from my experience it does happen .

I carried out my service as usual, checked the PRV and got absolutely nothing from it. ...., it was the twist operated PRV and regardless of how many times I twisted it or if I twisted it to the open position

Do you test EVERY prv like this? Brave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler capped in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon all, First time posting on this site. I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible. My house is 1930s (I think). I have some very old gas pipes sticking out of random places. Mostly nest to light pendants. This has made me believe it’s an old gas/heat/lightning...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
Hello my dad had a boiler check up today and the cap on the flue above the boiler had fell off. It's potentially been like that for a long time. Was this dangerous? We have a carbon monoxide detector but that never went off. I have posted a picture below of the little cap, the engineer...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
Hi have surplus water feed and return pipes in my home. I can't isolate them so will need to freeze. House built 1970's. They're as far as can tell Carbon/mild steel pipe, 28mm dia. Wish to cap them off. Can I use brass compression fittings? Like in the pic. Or do I need to use steel fixings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock