Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Boiler 'At Risk' due to flue being next to extractor vent - options to resolve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spaniard5

Hi All

My boiler was deemed 'At Risk' by a British Gas engineer yesterday due to the external flue being located next to the oven extractor fan outlet. Previous engineers deemed this 'Not to current standards', but the opinion of this engineer was different.

The boiler is ageing and so I'd hope that a longer term solution could involve a relocation of the flue. But for now I'm looking for some advice on a shorter term solution.

I guess one option would be not to use the extractor fan, and to block up it's vent. Would this allow an engineer to re-classify the status of the boiler?

Alternatively, If I had a plume kit fitted, would this allow an engineer to re-classify the boiler? I'm not sure whether the standards deem the external flue to be the point where it exits the brickwork, or the point where it terminates (i.e. at the end of a plume pipe).

Advice on these, or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
David

If the boiler is ageing as you say then you won't be able to get a plume management kit for it and it still wouldn't help. Depending on the boiler type the flue terminal needs to a minimum of 300mm of an opening back in to the property to protect you from the risk of products of combustion re-entering your property and potentially killing you.

To get the boiler re-instated and with out seeing it, a temporary solution would be to brick up the extractor fan hole and get BG back to re-instate it. However, I would check with BG that this is the only reason for the boiler being put at risk. You don't want to go through the hassle of having it all bricked up etc only to find the boiler has other faults and they still can't switch it back on. Why don't you post something in the 'I'm looking for a gas safe engineer' forum and see if there is someone local and independent who could give it a look over and also provide their opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to keep the boiler its probably easier to move the vent alternatively argue with BG AS WITHOUT PROOF OF FUMES ENTERING BUILDING ITS NCS

Thanks for the advice macackau.

Would a plume kit theoretically be a solution? i.e. is it the end of the plume that has to be 300mm from the vent, rather than where the flue emerges from the brickwork?

I ask because the boiler is a Worcester 28CDi and Google seems to suggest I could get a kit. I would not be attempting to fit it of course I'd be looking for an engineer to do that.

if you want to keep the boiler its probably easier to move the vent alternatively argue with BG AS WITHOUT PROOF OF FUMES ENTERING BUILDING ITS NCS

Surely if it was entering the building with proof it would be ID? The AR is because there is the potential for harm to persons or property?

Thanks for the advice macackau.

Would a plume kit theoretically be a solution? i.e. is it the end of the plume that has to be 300mm from the vent, rather than where the flue emerges from the brickwork?

I ask because the boiler is a Worcester 28CDi and Google seems to suggest I could get a kit. I would not be attempting to fit it of course I'd be looking for an engineer to do that.

It could be, a plume kit could potentially allow for the distance of the flue where it leaves the wall and to your extractor fan vent terminal to be 150mm. You would then need to have a gas safe engineer install the plume kit so that then terminated at least 300mm from the vent. You would need to get a GSR to check the measurements and see if it's possible with your particular boiler.

OR CHANGE THE oven extractor fan (DO YOU MEAN HOB) TO A RECIRCULATOR TYPE OR CAN YOU ALTER THE ONE INSTALLED AND BLOCK HOLE OUTSIDE UP.

It's either 'not to current standards' (an advisory notice) if the opening is too close, or 'immediately dangerous' if the engineer measured products of combustion within the building. If 'at risk', they should have simply turned the boiler off with your permission using the boiler controls.

If your boiler has a grey bottom strip with the controls in, as opposed to a blue oval light on the front, the plume kit will not fit.

My advice would be to block up the extractor and turn the boiler back on. British Gas would prefer you to buy a new boiler.

It's either 'not to current standards' (an advisory notice) if the opening is too close, or 'immediately dangerous' if the engineer measured products of combustion within the building. If 'at risk', they should have simply turned the boiler off with your permission using the boiler controls.

If your boiler has a grey bottom strip with the controls in, as opposed to a blue oval light on the front, the plume kit will not fit.

My advice would be to block up the extractor and turn the boiler back on. British Gas would prefer you to buy a new boiler.

Thanks Nostrum. Yes, the controls are in a grey strip. The boiler is actually still turned on. The engineer gestured that with my refusal he would not be able to turn it off, and that although ageing, that all functional parts can still be procured. Fairly big hints that it can continue to be used.

Given the fact that the boiler is barely in use at this time of year (heating not on, shower is electric, and dishwasher for dishes), it sounds like I've got some time to consider this. I'm currently siding with bricking up the vent. Here is a photo of it to show the silly situation I've inherited...

flue.jpg

I didn't know about recirculation hob extractors - that could be the way forward once we get the kitchen (and ageing boiler) replaced in the next few years.

I spoke to gas safe about this and the guy said it didn't have to bee 300 mm away as the flaps are closed and only open when pumping out. Maybe if it had reverse polarity and 2as sucking air in it would be different.

That is close though

Is the boiler fitted above the hob as well!

I presume the flue was altered to allow the conservatory to be fitted?

That is "at risk" for obvious reasons....and the op saying we do not use a lot this time of year...just shows why certain folk need protecting

Thanks Nostrum. Yes, the controls are in a grey strip. The boiler is actually still turned on. The engineer gestured that with my refusal he would not be able to turn it off, and that although ageing, that all functional parts can still be procured. Fairly big hints that it can continue to be used.

Given the fact that the boiler is barely in use at this time of year (heating not on, shower is electric, and dishwasher for dishes), it sounds like I've got some time to consider this. I'm currently siding with bricking up the vent. Here is a photo of it to show the silly situation I've inherited...

View attachment 21900

I didn't know about recirculation hob extractors - that could be the way forward once we get the kitchen (and ageing boiler) replaced in the next few years.
you wont get a plume kit for that its standard efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler 'At Risk' due to flue being next to extractor vent - options to resolve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm hoping to get some advice. I moved into a new build house a few years ago. A Firebird Silverpac external oil boiler (kabin pak type)...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the above postcode. She's lives abroad and is stuck, and I am in a similar situation. Existing boiler is...
Replies
Views
Hello! Hope you're all well. I've read guidance and searched the forums before posting this..... Had our boiler serviced and had a risk notice...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock