Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler and gas supply in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have bought a property and this has a boiler and an immersion heater with a pump. If electric heater is off the boiler should heat the water as well.
I have reinstated the water pressure as the old vendor has drained the whole system. As long as I had these airlocks the boiler was complaining about lack of flow so I have released the remaining air using the valve near the tank / water pump the boiler no longer complaints about that but now it is not igniting.
I went to basics and wondering if the gas is actually flowing.

Couple days ago I have open the valve next to a gas meter then I also activated the gas smart meter. When I selected Emergency Credit it said something about "opening a valve" which took about a minute then an audible click. I thought everything is set but the boiler goes in circles and I don't smell any gas unlike I smell in the gas meter cabinet. There is this gas pipe for the cooker. I thought I try and see if gas is coming out of it and I pressed that ball inside the connector valve - nothing.
Are you aware of any other places I should look for?
This is not a big house that I would expect a series of gas valves. I assume the two valves in the gas cabinet are fine - 1st mechanical is in OPEN position, the one inside a smart meter has also opened up.
I have topped it up with £50 just in case this Emergency is not good.

This is Baxi Solo 15 HE A. The last maintenance on it was in July 2020 but it has not been used for almost a year. I cannot see a gas valve near the boiler. Can it be the valve in the gas smart meter has seized up? I would expect to smell some gas when opened that cooker ball valve.

If you’re smelling gas in the meter cupboard then I suggest you call the emergency service provide (esp) and do not use any switches on or off until they have been. Ventilate the property by opening windows and any internal doors, do not smoke or operate anything else that could cause a spark/ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re smelling gas in the meter cupboard then I suggest you call the emergency service provide (esp) and do not use any switches on or off until they have been. Ventilate the property by opening windows and any internal doors, do not smoke or operate anything else that could cause a spark/ignition.
Hi, this cabinet is outside the property so I don't smell any gas inside the house only when I put my nose inside the cabinet.
I phoned up the emergency, they will come within 2h. Thanks for advise. It's actually written on the meter itself! This valve looks dodgy, it could be it is the valve leaking because I smell the gas regardless if it's ON or OFF.

Hi, this cabinet is outside the property so I don't smell any gas inside the house only when I put my nose inside the cabinet.
I phoned up the emergency, they will come within 2h. Thanks for advise. It's actually written on the meter itself! This valve looks dodgy, it could be it is the valve leaking because I smell the gas regardless if it's ON or OFF.
It sounds like you need a Gas Safe registered Heating Engineer to re-commission your installation for you.

That’s good they’re coming, regardless of where the meter is located, you shouldn’t be smelling gas in the meter cupboard/box. After they have attended, and it’s safe, make sure the meter states it as on, wait 60-120 seconds and attempt to ignite the cooker/boiler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not strictly true, if it’s an esp issue, then just a purge and relight is needed by esp.
Found ESP, no need to explain.

I was reading the first post and they mention, immersion heater, pumps, filling the system, air locks, lack of flow (primary) as well as the boiler not being used for 12 months and the last service was 2020. An ESP is no use for all those things combined. That's the reason I suggested a Heating Engineer. They could properly commission the system, explain how it all works and most importantly, make sure it is all safe, including the gas side, which is just a small part of the whole.

Found ESP, no need to explain.

I was reading the first post and they mention, immersion heater, pumps, filling the system, air locks, lack of flow (primary) as well as the boiler not being used for 12 months and the last service was 2020. An ESP is no use for all those things combined. That's the reason I suggested a Heating Engineer. They could properly commission the system, explain how it all works and most importantly, make sure it is all safe, including the gas side, which is just a small part of the whole.
Yeah it’s makes sense using a gsr.

Reply to Boiler and gas supply in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock