Discuss Bodged Shower Tray? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Secue

Hi Guys,

I had a new bathroom put in at the end of last year and i'm a little worried about the shower tray installation.

I was hoping for some comments/suggestions about whether it needed fixing and what i could get done without it having to be ripped out and re-done?

I took a video of the tray and underneath...have alook.

[DLMURL="http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4634290503927254979"]Bodged Shower tray[/DLMURL]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Secue

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't work out if this is a spoof or not, so I'm answering carefully!!

If you're the customer (sounds like you are) I'm afraid it needs to be re-done. It looks as if that particular tray is meant to sit on the floor and a hole made to accept the shower trap (the part under the tray).

There could have been a reason why this wasn't done and if there was a reason it should have been mentioned to you and a differently designed shower tray suggested to you. (Some trays sit on the floor, others have legs underneath them).

If the shower tray is relaid, then the tiling might will probably have to be done again and the shower enclosure will have to be dropped to the new level. Also, the shower unit (mixer or whatever) might then be too high for comfort as the level of the tray will be much lower.

Assuming you are the customer you can expect a much better service from a quarter (let alone half) decent plumber.

If you've paid him and have difficulty asking him back to try again (or preferably just refund you while you find someone else) try your local trading standards or local building inspector/council as I'm sure they'll be interested in having a few words.

If though, this is a spoof, it's excellent!!

haha, thanks for your reply mate, the answer is NO this isnt a spoof, i wish it bloody was to be honest heh.

Realistically, i cant afford to have this fixed properly. And the company that did it are now out of business due to the recession.

Get this though...they were part of the local trading standards 'trusted trader' scheme. trusted my arse. I emailed the TS and they werent a lot of help.

I suppose i will have to just get this shored up with more wood or something.

It was put in like that as we were replacing a bath and the waste pipe was apparently too high, and the tray was supposed to be put on a plinth. however, not being that diy savvy i had no idea what they meant and just let them get on with it.

turns out they didnt actually use a plinth, they just used the feet that came with the shower tray and shoved some wood underneath for a little extra support. apart from the bit that looks a bit wonky and isnt sitting upright...the rest of the wood isnt even fixed....you can move it. and they put bits of plastic on top of the wood to fill the gap between it and the tray.

What made you think it was a spoof? haha :confused:

hello mate thats a mira flight shower tray and the plastic legs u can see there should be 4 of them are all thats neede to support the tray ive fitted possiblly 30 of theses trays and find them secure and stable the only fault i no with them is the plastic riser kit never sticks back well . i think they put the timber under it for extra support but this is not needed and they made it look as though theyve bodged it but as long as there is 4 plastic legs and they are secure theres no problem.

As above the timber is supplemental as the tray is designe to sit on the plastic feet so i wouldnt say it needs to come out..what is the problem with it??

the problem as far as i have been made aware, is that shower trays are supposed to be put on top of joist strength wood, and then either cemented or otherwise secured with large amounts of silicone.

I wasn't looking to cause offence by posting this, just looking to find out if it had been installed correctly.

if it has then it has, thanks for your time.

this isnt necessarily bodged if it not leaking or moving some times we have to make the best of whats thrown at us
not familiar with this particular shower model but if its supposed to sit on legs id think that the timber is probably more than equal to the job
dont know why the plumber has done it this way but maybe a case of getting over a problem we cant see here
when we say to newbies on here you need experience this could be an example of what we mean its possible the floor wasnt capable of supporting the legs and a solution had to be found
customers are usualy happy if the jobs done and working rather than being told that the plumber cant finish until a chippie sorts the floor
having said all that im sure it could have been done a bit neater than it appears

these trays normaly have 7 legs 4 outer and 3 center it looks like the center ones are missing and the wood has been put in to support the center, if its not leaking or moving you would be best leaving it

if that were mine i would also be a bit concerned, it looks unsitely but as long as it is actually secure and leak free and your not afraid of heights(sorry couldn't help it) then leave it alone. you will obviously want to finish it off so that it runs to the floor tile. get yourself down to your local wicks and they should help you with some UPVC to dress it.

shepster
:)

there is definetly not enough support in the amount of plastic legs on the clip.the timber looks rough as hell.it is a poor looking job. these trays can crack easily when not supported correctly.
just out of curiosity how do u guys think the space between tray and floor would be best filled/sealed.tiling?

just out of curiosity how do u guys think the space between tray and floor would be best filled/sealed.tiling?

no mate, i recon a book case or something similar will fill it nice.
seriously though like a bath, you dont display whats under it as long as its doing its job and secure/leak free. thats what i would investigate first.

the mira flight riser kit comes with 4 legs and facsia for the 900 x900 quad tray

there is definetly not enough support in the amount of plastic legs on the clip.the timber looks rough as hell.it is a poor looking job. these trays can crack easily when not supported correctly.
plastic moulding same as they use to fill in around window works a treat its about 4 mm thick comes in various widths and bends to fit curved showers you need some wood battens and uprights to bend it to and fix with white caps on any screws although i have managed to fit it screwless with some gripfil and tiling up to the ends

hey if miras willing to sell the riser kit then who r u to say it don't work ive fitted about thirty of them with no faults so easeof the .i agree they don;t look to solid but they work .The fault i can see with that job with that vid is the fitters made it look like a bodge because hes added unnecrssay timber gone are the days when a shower base has to span the hole tray until mira get sued lets leave at that

Thanks for everyone's input, i really appreciate it.

Copperspropper, i know you've fitted loads of these and your sure the wood isnt necessary, but i'm a big lad (25 stone) and when i step into the shower i do hear (relatively) minor creaking, and it makes me bloody paranoid to be honest.

To the point where i try not to move around in the shower too much, i kinda plant my feet in one position and stay there as i am a bit paranoid at my weight shifting around.

Also, i have found the feet to be loosened off. once i found the ones i could reach on the outer perimeter loose and tightened them up again....and a couple months later did the same as they appeared to have loosened off again.

This makes me wonder about the one at the back that i cant reach. I think i'll have to get my mate who's a joiner round to see if he can do something to put my mind at ease.

I`m not a big fan of trays with legs to support all the weight yes its been designed to take the weight and support the shower screen etc just my personal veiw,now dont get me wrong they are great when fitted as per manufacturers spec but as i see all the time and as you have the experience not many do.i`m not a fan of trays put straight on to the floor either because then there`s no way you can get to the traps,pipe work etc if there was any prob`s in the future.so i build a really strong plinth ie;ply base (secured to the floor substrate) then timber structure then ply top super strong but still able to get to the trap,and pipe work.then dependent on tray type it would have a ply front then tiled with a peice that could be taken off if and when needed.all i can say is if its ok at the moment leave well alone and keep your figers crossed nothings going to go wrong with it and sorry that you`ve had a bad experience,but if not then get some1 in to do it properly for you which is gona cost.

A shower tray that has to be raised should be laid on solid timbers such as 90mmx55mm or to match the height of the waste. A 25mm marine ply board is then laid on top and a hole is cut for the waste. A bed of sand and cement is then laid and the tray is bedded into this and levelled off. Most trays have a run towards the waste built in. The timbers showing under the tray can be tiled over. I always fit ceramic/stone cast trays as plastic is crap and scratches too easily.

The tray you showed in the video looks as though my 12 week old daughter had fitted it.

A shower tray that has to be raised should be laid on solid timbers such as 90mmx55mm or to match the height of the waste. A 25mm marine ply board is then laid on top and a hole is cut for the waste. A bed of sand and cement is then laid and the tray is bedded into this and levelled off. Most trays have a run towards the waste built in. The timbers showing under the tray can be tiled over. I always fit ceramic/stone cast trays as plastic is crap and scratches too easily.

The tray you showed in the video looks as though my 12 week old daughter had fitted it.

Same. I haven't always done it that way. I used to stick em down with very large blobs of silicon. However my tiler stood in a tray (resin) and cracked it. He's a big lad 20 stone or so. So now I do it with sand and cement as per manufacturers instructions. Messier but it doesn't get any stronger.

Coincidently, I agree with the comment about trays striaght onto the floor. I hate them too, but I have to fit them reguarly as clients won't listen to sense and want a minimilist look. Everything in this game is minimilistic and therefore harder to fit/service.

I have to admit though some of it looks double swish!!

I have fitted the Mira Flight too. Doddle to fit...really lovely work for the installer. Not had one crack on me either!

Last edited:
If someone wants a shower bedded to the floor, or a bath panel tiling - i simply tell them that I am not coming out in the future if it developes a problem . . .

Check how much they have wound out the Mira legs, think it should be maximum of 210mm or 240mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bodged Shower Tray? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock