Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked Toilet - Quote to fix in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lal5000

Hi,

I'm in need of some advise.

we moved into an old house 6 months ago and the toilet upstairs was really badly blocked.

i tried to unblock with chemicals and a plunger but it didnt work. The water flushed but ridiculously slowly!

One day my brother in law came round and his boy did a poo in the toilet without us knowing so he tried to help us unblock it!

We spent 2 hours trying to get rid of the blockage. we took the toilet away and got a pressure washer with unblocking attachment. i went and stood by the manhole and you could see we managed to unblock an unholy amount of rubbish. buckets and buckets full of old tissue and rubbish. quite gross.

anyway, i thought that fixed it and it certainly made it a lot better but its started getting bad so we dont use it. i suspect the previous owners kids dropped a toy that is sitting somewhere on the horizontal connection pipe as the vertical soil is confirmed as clear.

my question is. how much to replace the horizontal soil pipe and connect everything back up??

I will get 3 quotes but just want to know what ballpark figure i should be looking at?

The first thing you should do is get someone with a drain camera to check the drain.
That will show you what you need to know and where the problem is.

It could be a simple fix or a complex repair.
The camera will tell you that.

Too many variables buddy. is the piping right, is the pipework accessible, if there is a blockage where is it, it could cost a little it could cost a lot im afraid

Something else to check is your toilet fully emptying the cistern every time it flushes? I have a customer where her toilet was trying to flush with maybe 2 L of water tops Obviously over time the water proved too weak to keep the pipe clear

Old clay sewer pipes are only in 3ft lengths, so that means a joint every 3ft. This can allow roots of trees to enter sewer. Also clay pipes can crack and collapse in on themselves.
It's up to you to decide if you try to have it all well rodded and see what happens, or get a someone in to use a camera. Nothing beats the plastic sewers if they are done right and the expensive part of that job is the digging.
Edit, - as Riley has said, lack of water doesn't help. Make sure you use plenty of water to flush the sewer. If you have a bath in the house, fill it with cold water and then let it drain while also flushing any toilets etc. Gives the sewer a power flush!

Last edited:
thanks for all the comments.

really appreciated.

is defo a clay pipe and there are climbers close to it so that could well be the problem.

sewer has had a proper jetting and the bath drains fine through the same vertical. it flies through. there is certainly something in that horizontal restricting the flow.

Pipe work is very accessible. its just boxed in as its a stone cottage so hopefully should be a straightforward job. fingers crossed.

Plenty of water collecting in the cistern. full to the brim and discharges everything.

I guess im best to have someone come and have a look.

thanks again for the prompt, friendly replies. really appreciated.

get a cheap (£15) 5meter camera from ebay shove it in and take a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Toilet - Quote to fix in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock