Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Black bit and murky water from hot water tap in the newly replaced heating system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frustrateduser

We just had two system boilers and one unvented cylinder installed to replace the old gravity fed system with cold water tank, two open vented cylinders and two old boilers. We didn’t lay new pipes only used the existing pipes, cut and reconnect to make it work as we didn’t want rip all the floor/wall up to relay pipes. Most pipes are copper.
When it was first connected, the plumber didn’t realise that the radiator in the bathroom were normally on at the same timeas the hot water, so he connected them together. He now connected them separately. But the water coming out the tap are quite murky and has quite a few black bits in it.

We ran the water till the hot water in the cylinder ran out to try to flush the system out. But it still has black bits.

Would really appreciate if someone here could point out what might cause this. Does it sound like central heating water are mixed with hot water system?

Re: Black bit and murky water from hot water tap in the newly replaced heating syst

The pipe or tap may have dirt in and will need to be flushed with clean water,wouldnt have thought pipes were mixed when he has only cut existing pipe and reconnected new to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Black bit and murky water from hot water tap in the newly replaced heating syst

It might be mucky dregs from the cylinder - suggest you let it run cold water through, then reheat, and see if it's clear - if you tie a jay-cloth over the tap spout you will be able to check that the water is clean. Run through again if it still has bits in.

The tap diffuser may hold the dirt,so you may have to remove it

Thank you for your suggestions.
The cylinder is new and it’s an unvented cylinder. So I would have thought it should be clean. When I ran the cold water tap in the bathroom this morning, the black bit even come out of the cold tap. How can that be possible? Will try to run cold water through to see if that makes difference.
It’s probably not as simple as I put it. We moved the original two cylinders from first floor to the ground floor and got rid of the water tank in the loft space. In order to avoid ripping the floors/wall, the plumber suggested the following way which in my laywoman’s view is logically sound. Does it sound right to you? The red colour were prevously how it was linked. The blue ones are the new link the plumber did.

[FONT=&quot]hot water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]cylinders[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]radiators[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1st floor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]boiler[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ground floor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Existing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
1st floor
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]boiler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]groundd floor [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Current[/FONT]

New cylinders can have dregs in that come from the manufacturing process, and sometimes a residue like a glaze that forms on the inside, but flushing through will eventually remove it. You've had a lot of work done on the system, so the pipes might need a good flushing out too.

Presumably everything is working ok?

Let the taps run and see if it clears, if nothing improves, than call the plumber back.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]boiler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Current[/FONT]
Sorry about the mess of my diagram, It looked ok on my screen but once I posted it, it just looked mess. This is the current link. blue are new ones

Sorry I did it again, will try to find a way to improve the diagram.

Yes, the water seems to heat up, haven't tried the heating yet. But Worcester bosch people were here this morning to see the installation.

Sorry I did it again, will try to find a way to improve the diagram.

Yes, the water seems to heat up, haven't tried the heating yet. But Worcester bosch people were here this morning to see the installation.

What did WB say?

Your diagram is all black on my screen btw.

The water that runs through your radiators is on a completely separate circuit from your hot water, but even if something has gone wrong, I doubt that the diagram will help much.

frustrated plumber !

centralheatking

Well, WB people don't seem to have any problem.

Just talked to the MEP engineer who sized the boilers, cylinder and the boost pump for us. He thinks that the plumber has used the existing pipe which has been the central heating pipe. He wondered whether because the plumber didn't flush the pipe first before he connected to the hot water loop, so the dirt in the existing pipe being circulated around. Does this sound plausible?

If he's used a central heating pipe for potable water that is entirely plausible. It's also a health risk as you don't know what the contaminants in the pipe are.

You need to get the plumber back to sort it out for you.

Have you got black bits in your drinking water?

No its brown with a froth on the top

Same here, pickled egg.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Black bit and murky water from hot water tap in the newly replaced heating system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock