Discuss Bit of a nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T & H Plumbing

Customer wants a low profile walk in shower tray started to first fix the pipes and waste, problem is my waste, pulled floorboards up I have about 3 inch gap to position waste and run the pipe out the wall, I was thinking run wwaste thru the wall and connect to a flexi waste, but there is a joist smack bang where Ineed to be coming out and where my waste is, wwhat's depth I can notch a joist for a waste I haven't got my book on me lol

It would have to be a very large joint to safely accommodate a 40mm waste.

Joint?? I'm wanting to know what depth I can safely notch out the joist lol

Customer wants a low profile walk in shower tray started to first fix the pipes and waste, problem is my waste, pulled floorboards up I have about 3 inch gap to position waste and run the pipe out the wall, I was thinking run wwaste thru the wall and connect to a flexi waste, but there is a joist smack bang where Ineed to be coming out and where my waste is, wwhat's depth I can notch a joist for a waste I haven't got my book on me lol

My waste is 40mm
Not going to happen. Raise the tray.

I did say that to the custard but she's adament she wants it low VERY low :( I'll take my book of regs and point out I'm breaking laws if I do it her way if she still wants it that way I'll take money for the work I've done and politly go

By the way was is the depth of a notch for waste or does it have to go thru a hole saw cut???

hi
IF you drill out hole this would have less stress on joist but again you would be advisable to consult with building control or get advice from a structural engineer

I did say that to the custard but she's adament she wants it low VERY low :( I'll take my book of regs and point out I'm breaking laws if I do it her way if she still wants it that way I'll take money for the work I've done and politly go

By the way was is the depth of a notch for waste or does it have to go thru a hole saw cut???
uploadfromtaptalk1404993164594.jpg
If the joist is deep enough and its sufficient distance from the load bearing wall then a hole saw center joist would be the best way as weakens the joist least. But I very much doubt the joists will be deep enough to accomadate a 42mm hole saw through the center joist would have to be 168mm deep minimum but better if 200mm and not be to close to the load bearing wall or to other notches or holes. without significantly weakening it.
uve5u8em.jpg

Last edited:
Would it be possible to get a shower tray with a different waste position?
By that, I mean, either get a different size tray or get a different make so that the waste isn't near a joist. I always find out where joists are before I let anyone choose a tray or before stud walls are positioned.
A lot of joists I work with are fortunately near 200mm & I use a hole saw, but only if required & normally where it least weakens the joists.

In future, I never order shower trays until the old floors been taken up and I can see where I want the waste. Then I can have a look at what tray I need.

e.g if its a quadrant, I know mira flight trays waste are in the right hand corner, simpsons acylic trays are in the left hand corner, claygate artesan slim's trays are available in different waste configurations, one of which is in the centre of the radius and simpsons 25mm low profile trays waste is in the centre of the tray.

Save the above pictures aswell, I've just always remembered that for a notch its 1/8 of joist depth, and for a hole in the centre its a 1/4

Thanks people for the input

She ordered the tray herself but going forward its given me the experience to check first,

I've never seen anything like it, its an old cottage with sucken beams (joists) so the ceiling is attached half way up the joist leaving like 3 or 4 inch below floorboard, she's either gunna have to put tray on a plinth or lower ceiling lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bit of a nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm currently doing the pre-planning for my next DIY project fitting a shower tray and enclosure from scratch. I'm confident of being able to...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where...
Replies
Views
Hi, Installing 2 new bathrooms, property only had 1 bathroom and the waste went into a cast iron soil stack which has now been replaced. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock