Search the forum,

Discuss Best Way To Stop Leaks From Securing Bolts On Close-Coupled Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to get the odd drip from the close coupled cistern securing bolt one one side. It's now got much worse. The bolts are the type that pass through holes in the bottom of cistern.

Can anyone advise the best way of sealing these?

Many thanks for any advice.

I used to use silicon around the washer before pushing into the holes inside the cistern, then another bead of silicon around the hole on the bottom, push outside washer into silicon and secure. Clean excess silicon away inside and out.
Recently toilets I fit have a decent washer either side of the cistern and never have a problem so don't use silicon.

I used to use silicon around the washer before pushing into the holes inside the cistern, then another bead of silicon around the hole on the bottom, push outside washer into silicon and secure. Clean excess silicon away inside and out.
Recently toilets I fit have a decent washer either side of the cistern and never have a problem so don't use silicon.

Im with strat when makin them up i put tiny bit of silicone round the rubber as the qaulity of some of the rubber is terrible yet some are spot on,

I used to take loads of cisterns off to replace fill valves etc and never used anything other then the washers supplied. I only ever had a couple leak. The key is to make sure everything is clean, sitting together correctly and tighten each side evenly. Also make sure when you do up the wall bolts that it's not pulling the cistern at the back.

Little smear of silicone on top of the rubber before pushing screw through. Big blob underneath washer and push through hole. Rather take the few seconds to do that than having to strip it back down. Some of the bolt kits are absolute cack.

If they are the plastic bolts then I silicone them every time as there rubbish.

is it coming from the bolts or the doughnut washer? I fitted one last week and it was a pig to get it to seal, it was dripping through the bolts from the doughnut seal when flushed. I ended up gobbing silicone on everything, letting it dry and it done the job.

I silicone them, the siphon and the ballcock every single time in the inside and under side and I'm not just saying this I can't remember the last time I had a leak on a toilet cistern. However I have been to many before that have been leaking and guess what, not been siliconed

If the bolt head inside the cistern has the usual metal washer below it first & then a rubber washer, then the water can pass between the nut & washer & cause a drip if the rubber washer isn't a tight fit to the bolt thread. That's where a dab of silicone will make sure no leaks.
I also notice some cisterns bolt kits come with flat rubber washers & if the holes in the bottom of cistern are fairly large, the bolt & washer can be off centre & the rubber to the edge of the hole. I had to fix a leaking one that someone had fitted & all I could do was mark the circumference of the proper position of new washers. Should really be tapered rubber washers & I also can't understand why some come with ordinary bolts that rust & will someday rot away & flood a house?

If the bolt head inside the cistern has the usual metal washer below it first & then a rubber washer, then the water can pass between the nut & washer & cause a drip if the rubber washer isn't a tight fit to the bolt thread. That's where a dab of silicone will make sure no leaks.
I also notice some cisterns bolt kits come with flat rubber washers & if the holes in the bottom of cistern are fairly large, the bolt & washer can be off centre & the rubber to the edge of the hole. I had to fix a leaking one that someone had fitted & all I could do was mark the circumference of the proper position of new washers. Should really be tapered rubber washers & I also can't understand why some come with ordinary bolts that rust & will someday rot away & flood a house?
it would apear no one is prepared to pay for proper quality sanitary wear anymore so we are left with $hitty close coupled tat with bolt through cisterns and push button drop valves that wont last a year. Drop flush valves should be outlawed for the water they waste. Makes me laugh that so many of them come with high and low flush buttons. They are on tiny 6 litre cisterns that barely shift a fart. Yet all attempts to save water are immediately lost because the drop valve will undoubtedly leak to the pan and often go unnoticed unless the fill valve is noisy.
To the Op I always fit them with silicone regardless of the washer type but be sparing, too much and the washers will spin rather rhan compress. Definitely get some on the bolt threads so water cant follow them past the washers and as has been said allready tighten each side alternately so they compress and pull the cistern down on to the pan evenly and make sure the wall fixings dont alter how the cistern sits on the pan make sure the floor is solid and the pan doesnt move or rock. Any movement between the cistern and the pan can cause leaks.

Last edited:
sillicone should be avoided if possible. especially when a rubber seal is trying to compress as it cause slipping it somestimes becomes the cause of the problem not a solution. Ive seen plenty of badly installed cisterns, most were coverd with sillicone so i tend to think poor plumber when ever i see it.

sillicone should be avoided if possible. especially when a rubber seal is trying to compress as it cause slipping it somestimes becomes the cause of the problem not a solution. Ive seen plenty of badly installed cisterns, most were coverd with sillicone so i tend to think poor plumber when ever i see it.

I feel sorry for the plumber as well, poor lad having to install tat :)

Can't you get universal fixing kits for closed couple WC's? They come with bolts and neoprene washers for either side of the cistern. I've used a couple as the original fixings were lost and they seem to work fine. No silicone required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Way To Stop Leaks From Securing Bolts On Close-Coupled Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Our builder set up the soil pipe and supply for the closed couple toilet but says it's actually impossible to connect to the wall securely (ie he says he can't get bolts in). It's silicone'd to the floor which he is claiming is fine. Is this right? There must be a way even if in means breaking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a noisy cistern that appears to be leaking into the pan a little but also making a very frustrating water noise from inside, I have attached a picture of the offending item that is dripping water constantly. Guessing the whole lot needs replacing but not sure what to ask for when...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, thanks for your time reading this! We have noticed a leak appearing from the built-in toilet in our main bathroom that's spreading around our floors (great start to the year!). I've removed the panel behind the flusher and can see the water inlet attaching to the Cistern is slowly...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone. We have a leak from one of cistern holding down bolts on our close coupled WC. This has occurred after a plumber replaced the flush valve yesterday. The problem is now that the plumber says he can't get the cistern off to replace the bolts because it is glued ( probably...
Replies
Views
Hi - I have an old (maybe 45 year old) Twyfords Close Coupled toilet. The cistern has cracked, and I'd like to replace just the cistern. I'm struggling to find anything described as a close coupled cistern which doesn't have the bolt holes. I was hoping to find one with no bolt holes and just...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock