Discuss Best Way Of Dissolving Rust? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the plate hex on my combi, and want to keep the old one for a spare for the future - just in case. However, the reason I swapped it was because it's got lots of rust flakes in it from my 55 year old system. Filter now fitted.

I thought of leaving the hex for a few months with a strong saline solution sitting inside it, but will the salt damage the hex? Or is there something better/quicker that will dissolve the small rust flakes and not harm the hex?

Spirits of salts (hydrochloric acid). Google it. Under a fiver a bottle but don't leave it in for more than a few hours.

prosperhic acid also works well,also dont leave that in long,or get any near any skin/eyes/other sensitive areas

I use spirit of salts for a few minutes rubber gloves a must .Also used vinegar heatted up with blow torch. Thoroughly flushed with clean water.

if its rust flakes you can get a lot of it out just back washing with a hose and lots of tapping

Ok thanks to all for your suggestions. Will try one or two. So it looks like I should forget the salt idea?

Also, which type of metal is the Turbomax's plate hex made out of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Way Of Dissolving Rust? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please forgive the length of this post, but I must provide all the information to fully explain the issue. I am completely perplexed! My 43 year...
Replies
Views
New to the site. I'm a homeowner and I have no knowledge about plumbing, so thought someone else may be able to advise? In the early hours of...
Replies
Views
Are the rubber hoses known to fail on the 2016-2019 Viessmann Vitodens 100W? I've been dealing with circulation issues inside the boiler and I've...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
Can someone help me out please? These little black flakes are pouring out of my drain. They are all a little larger than the size of pepper...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock