Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Billy Bob Bob
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 210
  • drill

Discuss Best core drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

currently borrowing our 10 year old makita 8406,its a bit pants and getting stuck constantly,need a decent one to go on my van,just want the best,no tat but want to see what you guys use

Only ever tried the Makita, but I rate it.

I have the Makita. But had the hilti DD100 15 years ago. These can be bought second hand on eBay. Downside is you have to use hilti core bits ( not cheap!)

i cored 2 holes through engineering brick after a numpty did the first hole 10'' too low ;), one with my tat and the other with a makita.
the clutch hit 3 times on tat and 20 times with the makita (equally as effective (upgraded clutch on tat))!
i like the compactness of the makita v tat and both did same job, but for ÂŁ25 its no question until it gets nicked or eventially dies but the box is a bit big!!
if i were spending your money..i would buy the macrist, its the only one purley built for coring with loads of extras.

btw, i have also used the dewalt big unÂŁ440? and it weighs a ton my arm nearly fell off!!

Got the dewalt one it has an overheat cut out to prevent damage, can also use hammer action with masonry drills. Tbh I used a 240v sds dewalt drill for coring for ages, gun still works, new one is much better though. Small box too

I've got a dewalt and it is shocking! The clutch is constantly catching, I know it's safety but I think a baby could hold it.

I had the Makita 8406 and sold it because it was basically gutless. I would have bought a Marcrist DDM2 but they stopped making them. Got a Marcrist DDM3 now and it is an absolute beast. Heavy, though!

I bought the Sparky copy of the Marcrist ddm3, using pc450 ? cores it absolutely flies through brick and block on speed 3
Takes longer to set up and put away than the actual drilling, tad on the bulky side though
Had a Makita 8406, good when it was new, but not man enough as it aged (bit like myself)
Had a Marcrist ddm1 for a couple of months (until my van got done over) faster than the Makita and slightly better, but very clutchy on smaller cores
Been lent a Milwaukee off a sparky mate but haven't used it yet to compare, though it looks very similar to the DDM1
So the best in my opinion is the Sparky DDM3 copy, but don't know how long it will last

I've got a dewalt and it is shocking! The clutch is constantly catching, I know it's safety but I think a baby could hold it.

Hows that? When the clutch catches the drill tries to rip your arm off. You sure its a core drill?

got the sparky ddm3, bit of a beast to hold onto (especially with my shattered wrist) but it does the job for a decent price, obviously hilti is the best but the cost!!

there is only one brand worth spending money on

and thats not dewalt, makita, ryobi,millawkii,sparky , marcrist

I've got a Makita core which has the hammer as well, it's gone through a few walls so far with no issues. I actually really like Erbauer tools (screwfix brand) - they're well made and sturdy - only use Makita and Erbauer

I used a Bosch SDS for my first 20 or 30 cores (40mm max.) After gettin the Dewalt Silver Bullet (still entry level by any yard stick) I realised how pointlessly painful and arthiritis-enducing those attempts were. Like actually 30-45 mins of misery on some walls. I've never tried anything fancy like a Marcrist or Hilti but would love a pop just to see it whizz through. Must be sexual. But the silver bullet does most walls for 32 and 40 in 10 mins max.

I used a Bosch SDS for my first 20 or 30 cores (40mm max.) After gettin the Dewalt Silver Bullet (still entry level by any yard stick) I realised how pointlessly painful and arthiritis-enducing those attempts were. Like actually 30-45 mins of misery on some walls. I've never tried anything fancy like a Marcrist or Hilti but would love a pop just to see it whizz through. Must be sexual. But the silver bullet does most walls for 32 and 40 in 10 mins max.

I did a 52 with my Makita in about 10 mins last week - there's something satisfying about drilling big holes through somebody else's wall lol

DDM3 or similar (there are a dozen variants of the same gun) is the best you can buy for the money.
The Hiltis are too long too slow and harder to hold when they jamb. Not worth the extra money.

DDM3 or similar (there are a dozen variants of the same gun) is the best you can buy for the money.
The Hiltis are too long too slow and harder to hold when they jamb. Not worth the extra money.

unless your use there jig/mounted to wall

ive got the dewalt bullet i would say it ok as a core goes, find it depends more on the core bit than a drill tbh

If only i could get the time in my life to bolt a jig to a wall to drill hole lol
The hole is drilled quicker than it would take to faf around with jigs and most times a jig would have to go on outside so you drill a pilot hole them mess around.
In the meantime i've got the boiler on the wall flue in and half piped ;)

If only i could get the time in my life to bolt a jig to a wall to drill hole lol
The hole is drilled quicker than it would take to faf around with jigs and most times a jig would have to go on outside so you drill a pilot hole them mess around.
In the meantime i've got the boiler on the wall flue in and half piped ;)

exactly thats why there only used for 6"+

I used a makita for years, recently purchased a marcrist DDM1 and am very happy with it. I've only done about 10 holes so far but it's very powerful and not too heavy. I like the fact it's got the core adapter straight on the drill rather than tightening one in a chuck. Got mine for ÂŁ150 a few months ago as an ex display which was a bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best core drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock