Search the forum,

Discuss Best brand of power tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

What would you think are the best brands of power tools out there in terms of quality, durability and price? Looking to buy a screw gun and sds hammer drill and just want to know of the best brands. Thanks.

A few factors need applying..i.e whats your budget ?...Hilti the best but expensive....everyone has preferences but some have more money than others .I have a hitachi 110v sds old but still going strong.Also take into account how often you'll use it and for what type of work you need it for ...good luck it 's a minefield lol regards Turnpin:star:

Hilti if you can afford it, tough as nails, great quality and great after sales support.
Milwaukee is my preference, powerful, good quality and a huge range of tools but all are heavier than other brands offerings and 80% of the time more expensive than other brands bar hilti
dewalt and makita are pretty much level
Panasonic cordless tools are good but limited range

I use Milwaukee. Performance is better than most other popular manufacturers and they're top quality. Never had a tool break yet.

Hilti is no doubt the best but they're very very expensive.

Makita seem to have the biggest range of tools that are compatible with their 18v batteries but I'm not a fan. DeWalt feel like toys to me.

Used to have a Bosch kit with NiMH batteries that all went bad so that put me off them.

My cordless stuff is AEG 18V, and corded stuff is a mix but slowly all being replaced with Makita 240V stuff.

If you are buying your power tools for the first time write down a list of things you would use them for and buy to your budget.
Any cordless from Dewalt Makita Bosch Hitachi Panasonic Metabo AEG Milwaukee or any other well known brands will do you for a cordless. Hilti are about the best but out of the price range of most and for everyday use offer no real benifits. If you are using it for a screw gun with the occasional 5, 6 or 7 mm drill a 12 or 14v is fine. Higher voltages are heavy for continued use and offer no benefits for screwing and they are all rubbish at drilling even the hilti's
For an sds look for something with higher impact energy (joules). The brand is less important. They will all drill holes.
For example this drill
Hitachi DH26PH SDS + Hammer Drill 3 Mode Range | Power Tools Direct
is a better drill than this one at more than twice the price
Milwaukee PH26X 26mm SDS + 3 Mode Hammer Drills Range | Power Tools Direct
which is believe it or not more expensive than this hilti
https://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-339787
(if the link doesn't work it is a TE2-M and is ÂŁ172 which is negotiable on price or extras if you get hold of a rep)

On the SDS's the Hitachi is the best buy.

As said think what you will be using them for and buy to your budget.

Buy what you need to get the job done not what will get your fellow tradesmen drooling.

I've got a load of makita 18v stuff does the job for me :)

ive been abusing a sds makita cordless for 18 months it isnt mine belongs to main contractor,drilling 22mm holes for condensate and blow offs,believe me if i was better looking i would on a Makita advert .

Crosslings have some brilliant deals of metabo 4ah or 5.2ah gear!

Thanks for the replies. I have a makita 18v screw gun that has 3 speeds but it's broke and only works on speed 1 which isn't really good. My time is just out so really looking at cordless screw gun and cordless sds hammer drills. Thanks for the info and help. I know we are all based all over on here and a lot of cities and towns have their own wee tool stores which are good and reliable but is there any good websites for tools online? Looking to just add all the tools I need to my kit before I get a full time job. Seen the rothenberger gas bottle nozzles are about ÂŁ70 and a bending machine is about ÂŁ110. God it isn't half pricey :santa3:

I had a Hitachi SDS lasted about 18 months of moderate use was never really happy with it just didn't feel up to the job

currently using a Bosch SDS two years on still working ok and feels good and solid

I have a Dewalt 18v Combi drill love the small size and weight but the gearbox went after approx 11 months (lost hammer action) repaired under warranty but not confident it won't go again

The old Elu tools were good, made in Switzerland was told they were same as B&D professional range

Nearly all my kit is Makita. Corded and cordless. I personally don't think it's all that, but once you have bought a few cordless tools, you are kind of committed because if you stick to the one make you can buy 'bare' units which are cheaper.

I have about 6 different cordless Makita tools, one charger and four batteries. Which means carrying less stuff on site.

There corded stuff is all middle of the road too. If (god forbid) the van got broken into I would probably start again with Milwaukee as people seem to sing their praises.

Nearly all my kit is Makita. Corded and cordless. I personally don't think it's all that, but once you have bought a few cordless tools, you are kind of committed because if you stick to the one make you can buy 'bare' units which are cheaper.

I have about 6 different cordless Makita tools, one charger and four batteries. Which means carrying less stuff on site.

There corded stuff is all middle of the road too. If (god forbid) the van got broken into I would probably start again with Milwaukee as people seem to sing their praises.
Had a discussion with tools manager at Crosslings other day he's well impressed with makita and metabo , told him I wanted a milwakiee coffin and he thought I was mentally ill. Said their service was rubbish I count disagree more! Sent a recip back as it went for a swim in headder tank.... They simply replaced it foc!

I tend to listen to the opinion of the blokes using the tools over the opinion of the blokes selling them. Which could be why he was so 'shocked'!! :)

Number one - festool but prices are joke. Number two- hilti. But I think any makita or milwaukee do the job and is not too expensive.

Number one - festool but prices are joke. Number two- hilti. But I think any makita or milwaukee do the job and is not too expensive.

Erm, maybe if you're fitting kitchens. Pretty sure they don't even have an SDS drill in their range - completely geared up for woodwork..... And they're not that dear.

My dad long a go told me there is only one power tool that is worth investing buying it .......

Tamz said it already in post 8

Erm, maybe if you're fitting kitchens. Pretty sure they don't even have an SDS drill in their range - completely geared up for woodwork..... And they're not that dear.

Not that dear? I'm sure there mitre saw in nearly a grand

Had some of the milwaukee stuff now for about 12 months and it has been spot on i must admit. Iv got one of the 18v compact combi drill and led torch. Also have 12v drill driver and multitool which are great. Through work i had a 18v sds which is great for your standard 5.5 bits but going through concrete with a big bit it eats batteries. Makita 110v sds had never let me down.

Bought a bosch gsb for ÂŁ150 from screwfix last week. Haven't used it much but I'm impressed so far. Never had anything over ÂŁ99 in the past but I'm glad I spent abit more. I had this before which was ok for the light work I do but it broke after a couple of years and the battery was a pain in the arse to change.

Festool def top class but panasonic cordless are prob second best i've had hilti makita dewalt but nothing compares to panasonic have three cordless at moment and sds bosch.....had one for 20years.... hilti for heavier stuff.... also have a dewalt sds which has had no problems....look at amp ratings when buying cordless not voltage.... new panasonic i think has 4amp batteries but is 15.6 v which kills most 18v dewalts makitas etc....oh and for 24v bosch....makita started slipping on the gears after 3 yrs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best brand of power tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock