Discuss Belfast sink - joining old waste to new 40mm trap and pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The sink waste is 1 1/2"/40mm. The existing pipework is 32mm. Where would be the best place to use a reducer and what type of reducer?
Just to say that if you do go the 32mm route, putting this on the belfast sink instead of the T12A-F, solves that reduction issue:

Just to say that if you do go the 32mm route, putting this on the belfast sink instead of the T12A-F, solves that reduction issue:

Good find! So that would solve both problems in one small piece - i.e. a flat wide washer for my awkwardly shaped waste, and a reduction to 32mm at the same time. In which case from there I'd need a 32mm telescopic P trap and that's it? Might just need to cut the existing pipe back a little if it sticks out too far for the P trap?

Seems a solution is hopefully coming together.

Shame my plumber couldn't have recommended any of this!

Depends on what your planning on running the sink as will take a bit to drain in 32mm and glug abit

Depends on what your planning on running the sink as will take a bit to drain in 32mm and glug abit

The plan would be, from the sink plug hole:

• 1 1/2" - 1 1/4" coupler reducer with flat washer, as suggested by @Basher
  • 32mm telescopic P trap
  • Connect to existing pipework (which is 32mm) from there, as seen in this photo:

IMG_20211206_213734605.jpg

Is that likely to cause slow drain / glugging?

If using 40mm to prevent the slow drain / glugging, would everything have to be 40mm? Or would a 40mm trap going into the existing 32mm pipework be enough?

Cheers

EDIT:

I take the point, but the centre aperture in the original belfast waste fitting being used is much smaller than normal, probably around the 30mm mark, so that will throttle the flow as well!

I've just measured it and it's 34mm, so you weren't far off ;) With that in mind, will 32 vs 40mm trap and pipes make much difference then?

Last edited:
You’ve got nothing to loose other than a p trap and an adapter

For the benefit of anyone coming across this in the future who finds themselves in a similar situation, my plan (as outlined in post #25) worked a treat, and I'm set up and all works perfectly.

Thanks one and all for the great help. I wouldn't have got there without you!

Reply to Belfast sink - joining old waste to new 40mm trap and pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock