Discuss Belfast sink - joining old waste to new 40mm trap and pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

We're having an old belfast sink fitted in our WC/utility room. We'd like to use the existing old waste; and by all accounts it'd be a pig's jacksie to remove even if we wanted to!

The threaded section in the photo measures approx. 1.88" / 47.8mm outside diameter and 1.24" / 31.5mm internal diameter.

The only thing I can think to use is something like this:

But whilst the sink out will be inside the reducer, which is good from a gravity point of view, the 40mm trap and pipe will also be inside the reducer which ain't so great.

So I wondered if there are any other options? Anything entirely different? Or something along the lines of the rubber reducer, but with a threaded connection on the smaller end to it connects to the 40mm trap and pipe properly?

I'll keep looking in the meantime.

Thanks a million

IMG_20211201_143816485.jpg

Last edited:
Cut it out before the sink is fitted and replace with the McAlpine Belfast sink waste.

Perhaps. And if we have to do that then so be it, but I'd like to see what options I have first as it's definitely our preference to keep the old waste.

That waste o/d is surely 1.5" bsp?
So a 1.5" trap would fit directly.
But it sounds like you already have a 40mm trap.

There are reducers of various sorts, eg

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with the different types of plumbing fittings, BSP, etc. Turns out that the "nut" from a standard trap (the bit that you tighten) does indeed screw on fine, so yes, I guess the thread is standard 1 1/2" BSP.

The problem is with the pipe section and rubber seal of the trap. Because the sink waste's inner diameter is smaller than normal, the trap pipe won't slot into the waste to form a seal with the O ring. So whereas it should be like this:

IMG_20211201_212054981.jpg

On my sink it doesn't and it looks like this:

IMG_20211201_205504075.jpg

With all that in mind, do you still think I should be able to get something to work?

Many thanks

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-t12a-f-1-bsp-eu-uk-coupler-white-40mm-x-40mm/1358v

That’s what you need

I'm unable to leave the house at the moment, so haven't picked up a McAlpine T12A-F as of yet.

But I was mulling it over just now and took the waste pipes off my kitchen sink to see what they have. Turns out that what I have on the 1/2 side of my one and a half sink is just the ticket... Or at least I think it is, but I'm no expert. It has a moulded "nut"/end and flat washer. I've put a couple of pics below.

Is there any reason why something like that wouldn't work? If it is ok to use, then:

• What's it called / how do I find one the same?
  • How does it then connect to the P-trap?

Sorry that these are such basic questions, and also if I'm missing the glaringly obvious. It's all new to me!

Cheers

IMG_20211206_163701864.jpg

IMG_20211206_163720126.jpg

Reply to Belfast sink - joining old waste to new 40mm trap and pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock