Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Being self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

I wasn't sure of the title for this thread or where to post it but someone may find it interesting.

I'd like to write a little bit about the psychology of being self employed and starting out, so, perhaps, more interesting for newer plumbers but will remind the old ones a bit.....

This is all personal experience and my own mental state (or lack of) plays a great part in this thread.

I've been in this game for about 3.5 years now all the time running my own business (although, I work with another plumber when he needs a hand) and have experience of running another business. So, aware of some of the pitfuls.

My business has gone from strength to strength, I know the work I like and the work I can't stand but pays the bills. Pricing etc, well, we're always learning. I've had two rubbish vans and have been really busy so decided to buy a new one. Better that than throwing good money after bad!

A very nice NV200, last week worked really hard both on the tools and getting my van sorted, ply lined, racking blah blah, this Friday I'm off to get it sign written!

This week I've had no work! now, I know this is common in this industry when starting and 3 years ish, yes still starting. BUT it does my head in! completely, last week 2 jobs a day earnt well, same as week before.

Then nothing, I also know that the phone will ring again but I hate waiting. I am my own worse enemy, I end up sitting around waiting for the blasted thing to ring, I'll even phone it myself to make sure its working. I go out and I worry that someones phoned and I miss a job! My mobile number is on the answer machine so they can phone me. First thing I do when I get in is..... YEP, check to see if someone has phoned!
:banghead:
The when your really busy you worry about fitting it all in, its a double edged sword.

My point is this, for anyone just starting out beware there are aspects of being self employed that you haven't considered, for me its the phone, I'm a slave to it, we all are but some handle it better than others.

From a personal perspective, I need to chill out a bit, when its quiet enjoy it because luckily/hopefully/fingers crossed it doesn't last.

good post for anyone wanting to walk the path of legendary plumber

Hay I have a nv200,had it a year now,love it apart from the position of the electric window switches,dig in your knees sometimes

Is that the phone ringing ................. :bigear:

Hay I have a nv200,had it a year now,love it apart from the position of the electric window switches,dig in your knees sometimes

Is that the phone ringing ................. :bigear:

I went for the SE model, love the ipod attachment and the bluetooth, camera for reversing is a bit flash but not found it much use, van been parked in the garage all week, all plylined and nowhere to go!:sweatdrop:

haha i know what you mean about the phone and when your busy cant fit it all in then 2 weeks later nothing ,why does that happen?

i would like to but i think age is against me at the mo, need more experiance. and probably to comfortable with the company lol

Im having a quiet week so i went to the scrappy's today to cheer myself up :cheesy:

I find that the phone wont ring for a week. Then one day you get about 10 calls in the space of 2 hours, with potentially enough work to fill the next 3 days but all of them want it done the day they call.

Good post

Self Employed makes you think that you are your own boss, your not everyones your boss!. Especially every customer, you cant have a bad day, cant take a sicke (like P.A.Y.E lot!) and the boss still pays your wages... You cant cant go home when its end of the shift and switch off completey but higher risk = higher rewards (financially & personally)

Brother law is a fork lift engineer, thought he could take 40% of his Boss's business if he leaves and set up his own company..... He got 1 customer and now sub contracts for another firm. He thought if I work for myself will get £800 quid a week.... Did warn him not as easy as that.

I pefer to sub contract at moment, try and get a steady wage, hopefully a lil more than a guy on the cards. I enjoy being on the tools but sometimes dont like the admin side of it

Interesting as i am currently looking to go on the cards , i earn a reasonable wage as a one man band but quite often wonder is it worth it with the grief ?Usually the grief comes from builders!!!

Builders... love it when they save money and start plumbing themselves.... Bury 15mm copper pipe in earth (electrolytic corrossion, or whatever its called), put some block paving on it and get the labourer to spend the morning going over it with a whacker plate. Dont even bother breaking out the flow cup when they say...."not much water coming out the other end mate but can you fix it?"

I work 8 till 5.30 for a company at the moment, I absolutely hate it.
After that I do private work evenings and weekends, ive done 8am till 9 pm loads of times in the last few weeks and done weekends. I love working for myself and I hate being told what to do.
If I had the work I would leave my job tomorrow.
Its so alkward balancing my private work around my job and I can never call manufacturers to fault find as its always after 5.30, its non stop at the moment but I spose thats what you have to do if you want to run your own business.

sounds hard being self employed. makes me think im better off emplyed lol. o well maybe one day il take the risk and change

Depends on your dependents. You go out as often as your outgoings demand. I've got 99 problems but I've not got a wife, kids or mortgage. So when quiet times hit I can eat beans from a can and put on jumpers to stay warm. It was all in the brochure for the training centre. Module 6: Pot Noodles: The Versatile Dish.

I really do not know how you self-employed guy's get by?

I didn't have any choice but to go back to be SE. When i was made redundant there wasn't anything available and it was either back to self employment or sit twiddling my thumbs whilst the redundancy money ran out.

Hi everyone, was doing part time electrics but am a qualified gas man. When part time vanished after 2 weeks, sat on twidling my thumbs and finally got myself gas safe registered and was thinking of going SE but just got offered a job completely different to gas/electrics. I've already said yes coz I've got kids and a mortgage. I'm thinking, would it be better to buy a van outright or in stallment with regards to the taxman. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Being self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock