Search the forum,

Discuss Being a loyal customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just recently I've double checked some prices to screwfix only reason is I didnt know baxi did a 600 heat only and when I checked I found they were £50+vat cheaper than plumbase.

I went in to plumbase and they matched it.

I've just priced a 624 system and vertical flue extensions etc and screwfix are again £60+vat cheaper

I know it's only £72 in total but by the time I put my 10% on I have customers querying my price when they can see they can buy the boiler cheaper than me.

I've always been one of those that uses the same merchant for everything and they will look after you but now I'm thinking I should be shopping round more.

Problem is I only have £1000 limit at screwfix.

Just recently I've double checked some prices to screwfix only reason is I didnt know baxi did a 600 heat only and when I checked I found they were £50+vat cheaper than plumbase.

I went in to plumbase and they matched it.

I've just priced a 624 system and vertical flue extensions etc and screwfix are again £60+vat cheaper

I know it's only £72 in total but by the time I put my 10% on I have customers querying my price when they can see they can buy the boiler cheaper than me.

I've always been one of those that uses the same merchant for everything and they will look after you but now I'm thinking I should be shopping round more.

Problem is I only have £1000 limit at screwfix.
I used to be the same until I found out recently that my normal supplier wasn’t looking after me as much as they should. I like using one supplier but don’t appreciate having to haggle with prices all the time also.

I always haggle in my local city’s decent set of guys

It’s always the small things eg

Grundfos pumps city 100 plus screwfix 100 all in

I always haggle in my local city’s decent set of guys

It’s always the small things eg

Grundfos pumps city 100 plus screwfix 100 all in

I gave up with city you ask for a price off 1 person then when you got the invoice it was a totally different price. It was good when it went down but when it went up was a nightmare. And the invoices seem to take days to come through, with plumbase and plumb center it came through that night

I gave up with city you ask for a price off 1 person then when you got the invoice it was a totally different price. It was good when it went down but when it went up was a nightmare. And the invoices seem to take days to come through, with plumbase and plumb center it came through that night

I only get prices off the managers as they can go that extra step lower as a normal sales person can go upto a limit sounds like you’ve experienced this

I always used city plumbing for years, but got fed up with constant haggling and needing to wait for a certain couple of people to serve me or I would get overcharged on silly things and end up arguing.

That's why I started using Williams, fixed prices for everyone and they are pretty reasonable. Not the cheapest for everything but it takes the stress and time arguing about prices out of it.

Agree Williams top shelf but not yet round my area think the closest is Manchester or brum

Ok if you can plan things

I used William's for a bit. It was ok but thing is if there was a problem then i had to wait until next day before it could get resolved. Also the waiting for a delivery or paying stupid money to have it delivered early.

Also i always believed to get the best prices on spares etc putting everything through the one merchant they would look after you as in the more you spend the more they want you.

Also the prices weren't great at William's I ended up getting things cheaper from plumb center than William's then they had to go and close the branch and move it 7 miles away and thought they would keep 80% of customers and in reality they lost 95% :D

Thought williams was crap tbh complete hash of everytime i ordered anything.
Screwfix are the best by miles ,usualy cheaper and in out within minutes

Never been into redruth or newquay then. Only good thing is they usually have some lovely young ladies in there and they all try and squeeze into the tightest Jean's :rolleyes:

Some if not most of the merchants need to wake -up.

Propped up by the amount of houses being built at the minute? Or propped up by the amount of builders paying over the odds?
Plumbase sent me an invoice - roughly 90% more than what I could buy it for from wickes/toolstation.
Their snotty accounts manager in derby rang me up to chase an unpaid invoice
She wasnt impressed when I told her the reason-
but.... I haven't heard back from them in close to a month.
Hoping they forget!

One item had three separate prices in a month
I get nothing on account now
Seems like a good business to be in though- they must be raking it in with all these new houses

Last edited:
I think it's the same as all the trades round me they have no need to compete wait until the next recession they will be begging us to use them.

I can remember years ago I vowed to never use plumb center again I was a cash customer and wanted a 3/4 x 15mm end feed tap connector and they tried to charge me something like £8 each I said I will never use you again and the manager said they are not worried they are after the big contracts not the small customers. The recession hit they were phoning round as the big contracts dried up.

I’ve heard of them I believe there ok

Reply to Being a loyal customer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock