Discuss Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy83

Hi all,

I've just joined the plumbing forum today. I'm not actually a plumber but I've been mulling over the idea of training to become one for ages now. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the best route to take into the industry. I've researched a lot of the courses that charge a fortune such as train4trades and i'm a little sceptical about what they offer especially for the price. There are such varying degrees between whats included in the courses, how long they take, the level of qualification and hidden extra costs. The only other alternative i've been able to find is college as a mature student however this would take a year to gain the basic plumbing qualifications. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hi,

i would go for the college route, i dont know what your circumstances are( working or not) but even if you are, you may get some of the course funded, you will absorb so much more in a college enviroment.

also in the long run you will save a small fortune by not going to a private training centre.

thats my opinion anyway, hope it helps.

Cheers mate, is that how you trained? I'm actually a teacher but i'm doing supply so money can be tight at times when work is slow. I was just reading a post from a guy that takes on apprentices and he was saying that he thought the standard of training at college was pretty poor. It is tempting to go down that route though as like you say I'd save a lot of money and I'm really unsure as to what i'll get from a 5 grand course, is it really going to be much better?

Do you think you are going to be a plumber in less than a year ?
Any trainee's I have trained have been training for 4 years . I have never accepted the colleges 2yr NVQ's.
If you are serious go for it but its gonna take time

You could bee qualified with one of the private training centres to level 2 within a few months. However the general opinion is that the training provided is very, very poor.

Yes they will get you to fit a bathroom, cylinder, and some pipework. They'll also teach you how to work with lead, which for the great majority of us is a waste of time. Do you really need to know how to do a step flashing??!

Finally you'll have a technical certificate, but will then need to find an experienced plumber to take you on site and get you 'on the job' work experience. Which you photograph and form a portfolio. Then you'll need to get City & Guilds out to verify your work.

That's just to qualify as level 2. Then you'll need to do the same for level 3, and the same again to get ACS (gas).

It's a long road. There aren't too many plumbers willing to take on an apprentice, there are even fewer who are willing to pay one.

Finally when you qualify and have enough experience to work alone, you'll find the wage isn't the amazing amount the press hype it to be, just enough to live a normal life.

I hope I haven't been too negative. Everything I have stated is a fact...and frankly you should know all of them before you embark on a long and expensive journey.

On the plus side, you're not stuck in the same place, with the same people. You're out and about, you're always learning and gaining experience. (this forum is a great place for tips) and the hours if self employed are of your own choosing.

I love what I do. I'm a total plumbing geek, and constantly have my my head in plumbing/heating books, magazines. Do it if you think you'll love the work, not for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Becoming a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock