Search the forum,

Discuss baxi boiler & ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

francis123

Hi there, hope you can give me some advice. I have a Baxi Bermuda 401 boiler behind the fire in the lounge. An engineer came to service it and after having a quick look around said there was no ventilation in the room and wanted to seal the bolier off. I asked him not to and he left, he told me I should get a 100 cm2 air vent in the wall.

After he left I had a look around the room and spotted in the floor just in front of the radiator what seems to be like an air vent grid, and it is certainly bigger than 100cm2 . The radiator in my lounge is behind a cover and I think that is why the engineer didn't see it.

My question is, does this vent comply to the requirement, or does it not because it's in the ground rather than on the wall? I don't want to look silly and ask the engineer to come round again, don't want to look like I'm telling him how to do his job so if anyone could give me some advice it'd be great thanks.

Now a days it is through a wall with a sleve so nothing can fall down the cavity and block off the air. If it is in the floor it is drawing air from the floor vents but there is no guarantee they are not clogged up.It would be best to block up the floor vent and get one fitted in the wall .

floor vents are NCS nowadays (not to current standards) I cant stress how important correct ventalation is for gas apliances. putting a new one through the wall isnt a big job.

Inadequate ventilation is AT RISK. Turn it off (No Dont lets get into the other thread) Your floor vent must be none closable. The appetures must measure the correct area. Additional: I take it that you have a suspended wooden floor with air vents around the external walls. If they are terracotta type vents, then they may not satisfy the requirements. Measure the smallest appature of each hole. Length x Width x number of holes for all ventilation openings in the terracotta bricks, will give you the total free area. Total input is about 25kW so you will require approximately 90cm2 of free air. This is a rough guide, refer to manufacture instructions.

agree with above ,back boilers can get clogged up if not serviced regularly

Back boilers are one of the worst. Located in the main living area with your pet cats and dogs; the back boiler sucks all of the dust and hairs onto the lint filter on the burner, resulting in sooty boiler, burnt out loom or worse etc. Always get them serviced at least once a year, especialy if you have pets. Good job they are out of fashion, but they were great in their day.

Now a days it is through a wall with a sleve so nothing can fall down the cavity and block off the air. If it is in the floor it is drawing air from the floor vents but there is no guarantee they are not clogged up.It would be best to block up the floor vent and get one fitted in the wall .

there is nothing wrong with a properly sized floor vent, which is vented to outside

Nothing wrong with a floor vent, as long as the space below is properly ventilated, which on many occassions its not. Check the underfloor vents, to often are terracotta style so very restrictive and almost certainly not 300mm above the ground(blockage through leaves & snow ect)

I always thought floor vents werent acceptable nowadays, thats what Ilike about this forum you learn somthing new everyday.

floor vents are NCS nowadays (not to current standards) I cant stress how important correct ventalation is for gas apliances. putting a new one through the wall isnt a big job.

where are you getting this from Blackcatgas

Floor vents are fine. Just don't put your foot through them or sit yout chippendale chest of draws over the top.

Don't know whereyou get NCS from, even if BG said different. The only restriction apart from the normal stuff, is the vent can not communicate with an underfloor space if that space communicates with another property.

floor vents are fine as long as they go direct to outside and are ducted remember the old radon gas issue

Good point, But only in Radon gas risk area's. There are loads of underfloor vents not ducted, it don't make it wrong.

floor vents are fine ive not heard anything to the contrar yalways good to check the air bricks havent been built over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to baxi boiler & ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock