Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Bath Tap Temperature in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Leaky123

Leaky123 New Member

Hi All, I have an odd problem, we moved into our house about 5 years ago and have always had a problem where the bath tap runs from scorching hot to luke warm after it's been running for a minute, despite the heating being on all day, this process can be repeated after switching off for about a min. I think the whole heating system is the original one from about 30 years when the house was built. It's a conventional gas boiler (not combi) and for some reason we have a large combination hot water cylinder, despite it being a 4 bed house with loft (no separate cold water tank). The other taps, en-suite shower, around the house all seem to run hot water continuously with no problem. Any suggestions regarding the problem would be welcome, thanks.

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is your bath panel removable? I suspect that you have a thermostatic mixing valve under the bath which potentially is not working correctly or is set too low. This is a safety device installed avoid people scalding themself

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What make and model of boiler do you have and what make and model of cylinder?

4. Leaky123

Leaky123 New Member

I'm not at home to check the exact makes, I believe it's a Potterton, 1980's gas boiler and here's an image of the cylinder.

IMG_2538.jpg

5. Leaky123

Leaky123 New Member

Hi, I don't think that's the case because we had the bath and taps replaced about 2 years ago.

6. Riley

I don’t understand why if the installer was installing to regulations he should’ve installed one ??

7. Riley

Failing that do you have a thermostatic mixer on the bath? That could’ve failed

8. Leaky123

Leaky123 New Member

Oh, really. Ok, I'll check that then, thanks.

9. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

I don’t think he needs to as they usually only apply to new builds or a material of change, which from my interpretation is like a barn conversion etc.

10. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

There could be a restriction, eg a washer that may be worn on the tap, or a flexible pipe that is twisted.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Riley

Shouldn’t make it run like warm though. Are you actually going to check for a TmV or just assume there isn’t one

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is there a mixer on that cylinder?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Leaky123

Leaky123 New Member

I'm sorry, I don't know, what am I looking for? Does the photo above help?

14. Riley

No photo

15. Riley

So I’d you don’t know what you’re looking for how can you say it’s not there. May need a pro