Discuss bath/shower mixer tap.... how to strip in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ebt

hi folks,

No doubt this is a noddy question, but Im trying to strip down a bathroom/shower mixer tap to stop the bugger dripping. I've removed the top but cant for the life of me see how to go any further.

2013-03-04 13.50.56.jpg

The white square bit is obviously the valve top/actuator.
The blue ring seems to be a split plastic ring (which Im guessing can be removed with pliers?)
The greenish bit looks like a brass nut (green is obviously corrosion), but its edges are so close to the body of the tap that I cant get a socket or anything else to it.

Theres no access from underneath (short of venting my frustration with a hacksaw).

So, any tips?

Welcome. Best option would be to look up the manufactures instructions.

That chromed ring around the outside will unscrew to give you access to the cartridge. It should only be hand tight but sometimes grips are needed to loosen it. I use a piece of leather belt in the mouth of the grips to prevent damage to the chrome. The whole cartridge will then unscrew, white bit and blue bit.

It sounds like you need a new cartridge. If you know the make of the mixer it shouldn't be a problem obtaining a replacement but sometimes you have to measure all the dimensions to ensure the replacement is correct. If you search for mixer cartridges on ebay you will come up with a company called M65 J10 who have a massive range and show all the dimensions.

Best of luck .:welcome2::welcome2: by the way.

Cheers chaps. I can see a strap wrench and tourettes in my near future ;)

ps. no manufacturers marks on the taps, helpful eh?

the blue part will be part of the cartridge, if it is passing water then the seal on the bottom of the cartridge is split of the ceramic plates are damaged. Either way it will likely need a new cartridge

The brass nut is what needs to be removed to get the cartridge out to inspect so the chrome dome must come undone

Towel and water pump pliers?

the blue part will be part of the cartridge, if it is passing water then the seal on the bottom of the cartridge is split of the ceramic plates are damaged. Either way it will likely need a new cartridge

The brass nut is what needs to be removed to get the cartridge out to inspect so the chrome dome must come undone

Towel and water pump pliers?

Just to provide some closure, strap wrench did the job. I suspected the leak was due to hard water deposits, so dropped the whole cartridge into white vinegar. Job done, leak sorted.

Thanks for the tips guys, you were spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to bath/shower mixer tap.... how to strip in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock