Search the forum,

Discuss Banging despite arrestor being fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Whenever a cold tap or the washing machine is used in our house there is a single bang each time as it is turned off. This can be heard around the house but is loudest at the combi boiler in the upstairs airing cupboard. There is a shock arrestor fitted near the boiler which I have recharged to 5 bar as per the label, but the bang persists.

I have reduced the mains pressure via the stopcock which fixes the bang but now the flow is insufficient.

How can I fix this please?
Thanks for reading!

I have reduced the mains pressure via the stopcock
No you haven’t, you’ve answered your own issue, as you have reduced the flow, not presssure. To reduce the pressure would require a pressure reducing valve.

Are your pipes clipped correctly? Is it a new build property? Is it plastic piping?

I presume you are talking about the pre charge (air) pressure. If this equals or is > the mains pressure then it won't do much good, if you don't know the mains pressure suggest reducing this to say 2 to 2.5 bar and see how you get on.

Thanks for your replies.
I don't know the mains pressure as I don't have a device to test this.
Pipes are clipped everywhere I can get to them.
The house is c. 1960. It's got a mix of copper and plastic on both the hot and cold.
Thanks!

The shock arrester is to protect the boiler not the house plumbing .
As above from all the guys ^^^^^^ is your way forward, can be a nightmare to find , its usually a badly clipped pipe in my experience.

Reply to Banging despite arrestor being fitted in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi, I had a problem with water hammer where the pipes in my house would bang every time I turned a tap off quickly. I called a plumber and he advised fitting a water arrestor, which I'd heard about after looking the problem up online, so I agreed and had one fitted. The banging sound has gone...
Replies
Views
Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated "mini house" with an insulated, heat-taped plenum taking the poly from below frost line up into the space between floor joists. But, power outages...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock