Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bad Smell coming from shower plug hole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tazv1

i have just moved into a new house and the en suite shower in the upstairs bedroom has a smell coming from the plug and does not drain that quick. i have tried a couple of different plug unblocking chemicals but it has not worked. I am not a plumber at all and the plug seems a bit strange which makes it very difficult to clean it. I have attached pictures of the plug and the drainage pipe underneath, which does seem a bit flat, could this be slowing the drainage? The plug has gaps at the top to allow the water to drain away but no holes at the bottom of the chamber so there is always a pool of standing water in the plug. This may be right but seems strange to me. The plug seems glued in and i am not able to remove it.

Anybody got any advice on what to do?

Thank you in advance

20160331_103918.jpg20160331_104000.jpg20160331_104048.jpg20160331_103821.jpg20160331_103849.jpg20160331_103900.jpg

Hi, you seem to be missing a part from that trap which is allowing the smell to come from the soil pipe. If you can't find it, I'd change the trap for a high flow item. The fall on the waste is difficult to judge from the picture but it looks a little shallow.

What sort of shower do you have? Electric? Thermostatic fed from a combi boiler or hot water cylinder with a pump?
Anyhow, a high flow trap will take care of that.

Thanks Howsie for the reply. I believe we have a Thermostatic fed from hot water cylinder.
The previous owner left no spare parts as i can see. I will get it changed for the trap you suggested. Is this something i could do or is it a job for a plumber?

Ok brilliant, Thank you. i am guessing the grey trap will come loose when i unscrew it from underneath because it at the minute it is stuck fast.

Depending on who & how fitted there may be a bead of silicone sealant there.

Not a good idea to mix unblocking chemicals unless the first chemical has had plenty of water to flush it though, explosions and burns from chemicals reacting together have been known to happen.

As above i'd swap the trap before anything else, make sure you get a high flow one

Thank you guys, problem seems to be fixed, hopefully. I installed a new shower trap and it now drains really well and looks like it is now set up to stop the smell coming through.
Thank you for your guidance that is the first bit of plumbing work i have done on my own and feeling a bit pleased with my self.
Onto the next plumbing issue, the downstairs toilet's flush is weak...that will be a new post once i get pictures!

Well done! Also, thanks for the update. The folks here appreciate it when someone comes back and lets everyone know how you got on and if the proposed solution worked.

Well done and thanks for coming back and letting us know you got it sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bad Smell coming from shower plug hole in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock