Discuss Backnut brass wastes vs top screw version in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Wednesday: my day off.

I've long been fitting the brass bodied type of waste with the loose overflow connexion and backnut in the belief that they would have superior flow to the plastic-bodied type with a set-screw down the middle that holds the two halves together.

Today I removed the plastic type from my own bath, but not before I'd checked the flow so I could actually compare the two types.

The old waste was reasonably clean. The top grating was clear, though there was a small amount of debris lodged on one of the three legs of the spider that supports the threaded insert for the screw. Since this is not accessible without dismantling, this is the usual state of affairs. Draining 5" of water from the bath took 2'30".

The new waste was installed and the test was completed. As the waste was new, it was totally clean, but since the only obstruction is the grating itself, this will be easy to keep clear from the top. Draining 5" of water took 1'30", or only 60% of the time the other waste outlet took.

I thought it was worth sharing this with others. Turns out the difference is greater than I had imagined.

Well, I'm in the cash and carry Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Had Sunday off and worked as a plumber Monday and Tuesday. Apart from a bit of paperwork, I can hardly start a job today and finish it next Monday, so Wednesday is often a day off for me.

Waiting for tablet to be repaired and for some reason when I'm on my phone the like and other buttons don't show.

Reply to Backnut brass wastes vs top screw version in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back