Search the forum,

Discuss Back Boiler on Wood Burning Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

I've been asked to price for doing the plumbing/electrics on a new build eco home.

I think I may have spotted a slight problem though. The cylinder is intended to go on the ground floor around 10m or so away from a wood burning stove with back boiler which is on the ground floor too.

Only way to do it is to bring the pipes up from the back boiler at high level, along in boxing then down to the cylinder. This means gravity circulation won't work. Is it possible to do a safe and legal install with a pump?

My thinking is this wouldn't be safe because if the pump fails the water will boil.

I am aware of requirements regarding needing a heat sink radiator but I reckon the cylinder is going to have to be moved to the first floor which will scupper their plans somewhat.

Last edited:
You can do, there's no requirement to use gravity to feed the cylinder, you just need to provide a safety circuit (heat sink) on a gravity circuit in case of a power cut.

I've seen wood burners piped on the same level as the cylinder ( cylinder raised on platform slightly) with flow going up and over and return coming from below floor.

if they are going to have pipes running to the feed and expansion tank anyhow, I can never see the point of not designing the house to ensure the heat source is under the HW cyl and tank on top of that. Saves pipework runs, ensures the best gravity flow and ensures everything will work ok, just like the used to do years ago, reduces the problems with airlocks etc etc etc. Why design in faults in the first place ?

That is my view too. Am going to mention the issue to them and see what they say. Like you say they need a header tank above the heat sink rads anyway so may as well site the cylinder upstairs..

Should have mentioned, the flooring downstairs is block and beam with wet ufh throughout in the screed. No easy way to run other pipes down there.

Return to the stove needs to have a constant very slight fall. On 10m distance below a screed floor that's asking a lot.
I had one sounds identical to that, distance and all, except no underfloor heating. I had to put the flow straight up and into attic from the ground floor & the next floor, venting it and dropping to cylinder on upper floor. I wasn't happy about it and it was the fault of architect who hadn't considered a stove. Houses need designed around heating & plumbing systems and not have the heating as an afterthought to an already designed house.

Oh forgot to mention it's an eco timber framed house and there is no attic!!

So they building a block wall around stove? Or has it a chimney? Sounds a mess waiting to happen . Get a manufacturer to design it or spec it. Super insulated with a stove doing all the dhw? Not be better off with biomass?

not very eco.... pump vs gravity, gravity is free :)

thermal store with solid and green heat source, no need for "heat sink" rads if sized correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back Boiler on Wood Burning Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible as the air to water system is a pressurized system and the stove needs to be in a vented system.
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system, So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all . My...
Replies
Views
Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back, 2 for hot and 2 for cold, my new house has an open fire and has been used to heat both hot water and rads, but only has 2 outlets, can I T the 2 top...
Replies
Views
D
I'm looking for a heating engineers/old school plumber to put in a Combi boiler (possibly Intergas) replacing very old open vent system in parallel with a wood burning stove with a back boiler (ESSE Bakeheart) as back up and alternative. I know this relies on two radiator systems. Combi for...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now see the mental back boiler. I could not see the back boiler when I put the coal saver in place last year . Do I recover the metal back boiler in fire cement or is their something better. The fire cement at the bottom of the photo is where I block...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock