Search the forum,

Discuss Automatic Air Vents work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks

I maintain a small community centre's radiator system which is served by what looks like 1 1/2" steel pipe. Anyway an issue I am usually called out twice for in the early winter, is to vent this 1 1/2" pipework using the manual air vent on in particular the upper of these two pipes.

DSC_0477[1].jpg

My question is therefore largely just one of confirmation, that I should indeed be able to avoid this by installing an automatic air vent instead of the manual vent on this upper pipe? This will of course require some draining down or perhaps freezing of the pipe in question so would like to get right. Comments or suggestions welcome.

Michael

Yes that would be ok but the auto air vent would need to be put standing up, best to drain down

Ps fit some valves below the air vent to save draining down to change the vent once it's had its time

if you use the flamco flexivent, they can usually be changed without draining, but as shaun said, the pipework arrangement may need slight alteration.

As Shaun said some pipe work alteration and good quality valves before the auto air vents and you shouldn't have a problem, although you might be doing your self out of the work of manually bleeding each year ;)

Thank you for the Flamco reference missplumb. A service valve before the air vent does seem sensible.

Trouble with that arrangement is the pipe is still 1/3 full of air. Best to have a square tee with AAV on top if you can do it.

Trouble with that arrangement is the pipe is still 1/3 full of air. Best to have a square tee with AAV on top if you can do it.

same with the vents that are there but obviously they do clear the air i would just take the existing vents out m/f bend then the aav if it doesnt clear the board above lean the bend outwards and add an 45 mf or a nipple and 45 to come out further
use the ones with the stopvalve bulit in and you dont need extra valves

Last edited:
if you realy want a valve just screw a lever valve in the top one. bend and then put the valve on the upright on the lower pipe either way its a fittings job rather than needing stocks and dies
only up the road from me so if you dont fancy the job let me know

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic Air Vents work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock