Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Atag One Controller or similar? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Jem16

Jem16 Member

I'm looking to replace my combi boiler and have probably decided on an Atag boiler - IC Economiser 35 plus.

I cannot decide which smart controller to go for - either Atag One or something similar like Nest.

Can anyone help me out in choosing please?

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hive

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Both will work with the ATAG it uses open therm

4. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Thanks. Any particular reason why Hive and not Atag One?

5. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Yes OpenTherm is important from what I've read. However looking to see what might be the best smart controller to use or is it really a subjective question?

6. Harvest Fields

Hive will not randomly bring the boiler on during the night.

7. Jem16

Jem16 Member

So you're saying you have come across the Atag One doing so?

Is Hive better than Nest in your opinion? However I don't think Hive supports OpenTherm and I want that function.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  8. Harvest Fields

Of you are not using the open therm yes. But no If you are.

9. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Ah right. Sorry I added on that OpenTherm was wanted so Hive is out.

10. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Not atag one a pita I have one believe me you dont want one I am swopping it for a nest paired to a Google home mini , cant fault the boiler though . Kop

11. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Thanks Kop. Can I ask what you don't particularly like about it?

12. king of pipes

It will not pair with the virgin network very easily , is difficult to set up and the app is not user friendly

13. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Thanks. I managed to get a look at the app and agree that it is a bit clunky. It does at least have a boost function which I’m surprised Nest does not. I thought the Atag One might work best though as designed to work with its boilers. I believe it allows remote diagnostics but is that necessary?

I’ve now had 3 quotes for an Atag boiler with Atag One or Nest - mostly the IC Economiser 35 Plus and the 27 Plus. Two quotes are fairly close but one is way higher. It’s replacing a combi in the same position - only difference would be running the condensing pipe and running cabling for the controller. Boiler is in a garage.

The 35 Plus is £2650 or £2845 ( 27 Plus would be £175 cheaper ). The one that’s way out is just under £3800 for the 27 Plus.

Have I got two reasonable quotes and one very odd quote or have I got one reasonable quote and 2 amazing quotes?

14. king of pipes

Go with the 35 IC economiser far better hot water delivery , One controller look good has some good features but I can't get on with it swapped from sky to virgin and hadn't worked since, upgraded my phone and lost the app tried downloading again and reconnecting but no joy , just use it as a manual stat till I get time to swop it . Good luck kop

15. Jem16

Jem16 Member

Yes I think that would be my preferred choice. I know you haven’t seen the job but based on what I’ve said, do those 2 quotes look reasonable?

I just cannot fathom how the cheaper boiler is £1000 dearer than the other two.

I’ve come across pairing problems with Virgin before so maybe that’s more the issue with yours?