Discuss at annual service told boiler was dirty - is this a way to be ripped off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hello i have scottish power boiler cover .. a couple of times recently boiler shut down on its own (keston) had annual boiler service and engineer told wife the boiler is dirty ..

does this mean there is sludge which of course isnt covered

so it this an excuse for the plumber to try and make me spend more cash when he could repair it under the warranty ?

how will i be able to determine that ?

also if i have to go down the power flushing route .. does it have to be the plumber that did the service and i assume will try to charge max .. or can any registered plumber do the powerflush and the maintenance contract be continued

do you have problems with your rads heating up evenly ?

Modern boilers have small heat exchangers with very narrow water pathways. The sludge is derived from the reaction between various metallic components in the heating system. There are numerous chemical additives for the centralheating water to prevent this sludge reaction happening. However home owners often ignore the warnings and end up with sludge in their system. Then a chemical treatment is not enough and a full system flush is required and can take a day to do throughly. After which the preventative chemical are added. The homeowner might wish to put a
magnetic and non magnetic filter near the boiler return as well. Manufacturers will invalidate warrantee on their products if the above are not implemented...a simple test will establish the situation. Some insurance type schemes stipulate a similar approach.

I would check the small print, a flush might be already in your scheme. I cannot see they can insist in your case...after all my new Honda is not serviced by Honda but with genuine honda parts at a much cheaper price.

However September is just around the corner but the big outfits are short of work at this time of year and desperate for extra work. Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

These contracts are set up in the contractors favour. They will happily take your money untill such time as they think it is going to cost them money and I see loads of people chucked off their contract as boiler gets older with rubbish like parts are no longer available or sludge in a system they have been "looking after" for 10 years.

Reply to at annual service told boiler was dirty - is this a way to be ripped off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hello Just a quick question. I had a new Vaillant ecotec plus boiler installed in Nov 2021, with a 10 yr extended warranty. I've been trying to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally...
Replies
Views
My heating system comprises an Ideal Logic 12 boiler located downstairs and a Gledhill OV SOL cylinder located upstairs . The problem is that when...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock