Discuss Asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Steven

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
[h=2]Barnstaple gas engineer prosecuted following unsafe asbestos removal[/h]Fined £1000

Cannot believe how many items contain asbestos. Only wanted to take a stuck down lino the other day to fit a kitchen; guess what, the glue / mastic contains asbestos.

I think it's in old tap glands too. At least it'll be wet.

It's frightening when you look. Floor tiles, glue, duct boarding (AIB), artex, some black toilet cisterns, boiler seals, roof tanks, flue pipes, brake pads, ceiling tiles, electricity boards, warm air cupboards and worst of all for most of us older gasmen.......us!

To me I think each house should have to have an asbestos report carried out at it. If you look at where asbestos was used you would never do anything in a house. And how much is hidden now?

I've worked in people's houses and said I can't touch that as its asbestos then a couple of weeks later it has vanished. I've also had loads of people ask that I just drill it and they won't say anything!

When I look back at how many heating systems I've fitted since the 80's and then someone says it can be in artex. I think we were all let down with knowledge by the industry.

I just hope the younger lads take real notice of this subject as personally I'm now up to 8 people I know who have had asbestosis.

I ask my nipper every day what he's been up to at work so I can advise him as lots of employers are clueless and either avoid it or push them to get on and do it anyway!

I still go to places now that have a maintenance chap on minimum wage, not a clue about asbestos register.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
I have been given a quote to fix a noisy tap. Apparently they have to “replace breech to main shower” — which I understand to mean the thing...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
95 yr old parents have an ancient glowworm 40/48 floor standing boiler that sits in middle of bungalow and has vertical asbestos flue up through...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Just had a new worcester bosch. 1000 combi boiler to replace 18yr old vokera. No problems with new boiler. Enquiring about yearly maintenance /...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I have noticed that unlike the other threads of the radiator which are sealed with something that really looks like hemp ("foto...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock