Discuss Are you busy !? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few mates who retrained as plumbers,every single one of them now hates it and have all left.
The problem with the trade is gas safe,jib,all the training centres,cscs,the new leglislation are all after your cash,every year there are new unhelpful edicts from those who are supposed to be helping the industry,but there not,all they are doing is milking the lads on the tools...Its like the agencies,advertising jobs for ridiculous rates,bosses chopping prices to below union agreed rates,late payers,etc,etc,....
I've no doubt it will pick up,but i just dont have the drive or enthusiasm to start grafting again either now or in 4-5 yrs...

My partner works in the nhs and suggested it,and she's been very supportive,loves her job,so it seems like a sensible choice,plus i'll get to go to uni and ogle all the young women...

Personally I hate all the courses as well. But don't think that's the problem. There's just to many idiots at it that think the busier they are the better. Not realising that they started out to make a decent living not chuckle at people they've managed to under cut. It's not big and it's definitely not clever.

Hey work depends on your clients and willingnes to get people booked up in advance, just part of the business skillsset needed for a good plumber

People will only wait if you've been highly recommended or are seriously cheap.

Alright lads. I havn't logged on for a while.
Sad to see things are grim out there in plumber land :sad:

I've just skimmed through this thread and one thing that pops
up a few times is the free advice we give, therefore possibly
taking a job off one of our own fellow tradesmen.

Now I dont think this website is responsible for our lack of earnings
but I do think steps should be taken so that ......er......
Blah blah blah..... you get my drift!
:behead:

Blah blah blah....yeah I do. Less advice to joe public!! LOL.

I think this thread has become the most depressing one in a long time. I'm changing my name to Suicidal Sid. (From The Viz).

What do you expect from an are you busy thread in a double dip recession? Not sure what double dip means though.

most of the trades round here i speak to are slow
if your busy the phone always rings with leaks or breakdowns that need doing yesterday
if you are slow the phone just does not ring

My biggest expense these days is not the cost of plumbing materials but the price of diesel and only so much of that can you add on to the price.

Had a couple of months of doing nothing except doing prices and scratching around taking silly little jobs for something to do. Seemed that I wasn't getting any of the jobs I was pricing for. I was getting ready to move into the box still in my garage from the last boiler I fitted but then, suddenly, I got 3 big jobs and a couple of little ones all come in at once. Seems I'll be ok 'til September. Reckon that story probably familiar to most of you (maybe not right now, but at some point).

I reckon it's worth sticking it out. Things are bad for almost everyone right now and there are some good things about being a plumber. I sometimes feel really good about jobs I've done. I'm my own boss. I don't have to go to the same soul destroying office every day. I'm not a sparkie.

There was a guy earlier in this thread talking about training to work in the NHS. My other half is a midwife and it seems to me that working for the NHS is at least as stressful as plumbing without any of the advantages.

Guess it's good if a load of people leave the trade mind - leaves more work for the rest of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are you busy !? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back