Discuss Are these radiators odd/special sized? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everybody.

I am currently renovating my house and it has come to the time to plaster the lounge. Therefore, I new to remove the old radiators that are in there. They are single skin radiators and look very old. Therefore, I want to replace them. So, I measured them both and promptly went onto google (and typed in standard radiator sizes UK) to source new radiators. However, I can't seem to find replacements at these sizes. Am I doing something wrong?

Radiator 1 (Very long, under a low bay window) 2390w x 450h
Radiator 2 1260 x 600

Your doing nothing wrong your old rads will be imperial measurements new ones metric.
Smaller one quite easy 1200 rad + 2 - 30mm extensions.
Larger one you would probably have to use a 2400 rad. Stelrad do them fairly sure Kartel do them as well

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Makes sense now. Now...to confuse things further please allow me to ask...Why are some brands a lot more expensive than others? I presume they are made from the same materials? Also, now I am changing from single skin Rads to double skin do I have to configure them differently because reading up on Google it makes me think I now have to take things like BTU's into account??? I just want to swap these 2 single skin radiators in the lounge for 2 double skin radiators. Can I do this without any problems?

If your existing rads are plain single rads
You will increase output if you use single type k1 / type11 rads if you go for double rads type k2 / type 22 you more than double output and can become dependent on having sufficient pipework size.
As for cost Finish is a bit better on some but in essence look a length of warranty.

Reply to Are these radiators odd/special sized? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, We currently have 3 old radiators in our living room, the room feels cold in winter and radiators take ages to get warm, system has been...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views
Back