Search the forum,

Discuss Are college diplomas worth it for getting into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone. I'm 22 and want to get into plumbing. I can't seem to see any apprenticeships to apply for in my area (Newbury) but I can see my local college do Level 1 & 2 diplomas in plumbing. I have applied for a level 1 course and I am going to have an interview with the college next week. My main question is as the title suggest is it worth doing a diploma as I've seen you need to get a NVQ Level 2 anyway right? Also I have no trades experience as I have always worked in offices. Thanks in advance.

College’s apear to be going down this “ diploma” route these days, I am no expert but if the diploma leads to you completing the NVQ well thats great .
The problem you may have with the NVQ ( site based evidence) is getting a qualified plumber / heating engineer to sign off your work , in other words the diploma is worth sod all without the NVQ, ask the question at the college.

Training plumbers in colleges is invalid and dangerous and Dr Simon Reddy did a PhD to prove it - the plumbing industry in the UK is toxic and for this reason #apprenticeshipmovement have introduced the #JourneymanPlumber which is fixed duration 48 months - with mandatory 36 months under supervision of expert in work place - college courses and city and guilds qualifications in plumbing are no longer approved by our Domestic Plumbing Trailblazer - note that over 93% of plumbing students in FE fail to find employment or apprenticeship and are forced to go self-employed! OPINION: Dr Simon Reddy on employability and quality in Further Education - EPALE - European Commission

Training plumbers in colleges is invalid and dangerous and Dr Simon Reddy did a PhD to prove it - the plumbing industry in the UK is toxic and for this reason #apprenticeshipmovement have introduced the #JourneymanPlumber which is fixed duration 48 months - with mandatory 36 months under supervision of expert in work place - college courses and city and guilds qualifications in plumbing are no longer approved by our Domestic Plumbing Trailblazer - note that over 93% of plumbing students in FE fail to find employment or apprenticeship and are forced to go self-employed! OPINION: Dr Simon Reddy on employability and quality in Further Education - EPALE - European Commission

I can agree with some of this , I spoke with Simon years ago , I never knew he finished it .
As for invalid and dangerous!!! , Truly not all , but yes I can see the point .
I retrained at a college , out of 22 mature students that started only 2 of us finished with level 3 , my pal and I , I can asure you are far from invalid and dangerous .
We both run our own businesses and give 101% .
As for the apprenticeship route , they should never have stopped them , in most cases its the only way , I agree with them 100 %

Hi I would recommend that you volunteer with a plumber or company to get experience while you are training in college. There are companies out there who will do your nvq assessments for a fee probably 1000 + also . Best of luck

Reply to Are college diplomas worth it for getting into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock