Discuss Are Asbestos Flues Still ok to be used? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
I have never done any work on an appliance with an asbestos flue. I know very little about them. Just recently we've been going to an estate where we've come across asbestos flues which are still in use for the gas fire.

Now I went to one today and it had been classified as ID. The only reason given was that it was asbestos.

So is it still ok to be used in an existing installation? Providing it passes the flue flow and other tests. The only thing I could see wrong with this was that it had metal strap banding to support it on one of the sections. Which is another question, open flues, if they're strap banded or not supported but are strong and rigid, what do they get classified as? My understanding is that the recent changes to supporting flues only applies to fan assisted flue systems, which is now at risk.

I have never done any work on an appliance with an asbestos flue. I know very little about them. Just recently we've been going to an estate where we've come across asbestos flues which are still in use for the gas fire.

Now I went to one today and it had been classified as ID. The only reason given was that it was asbestos.

So is it still ok to be used in an existing installation? Providing it passes the flue flow and other tests. The only thing I could see wrong with this was that it had metal strap banding to support it on one of the sections. Which is another question, open flues, if they're strap banded or not supported but are strong and rigid, what do they get classified as? My understanding is that the recent changes to supporting flues only applies to fan assisted flue systems, which is now at risk.

if there in rented acc pro not as any ab found need to be removed

Please enlighten me on the galvanised band on fan flued appliances . I would not think anything of an asbestos flue and I work for social landlords. If it passes tests and isnt degrading causing a potential risk I can't see the problem .

A working asbestos flue isn't ID. Id means it's about to kill you as of now..

O banding, all round banding, builders banding what ever was used a lot and as long as the joints are fine and it is supported i would class as ncs

O banding, all round banding, builders banding what ever was used a lot and as long as the joints are fine and it is supported i would class as ncs

punch band

I think it may be the case that the housing association don't want it there as they are taking it out and want it replaced with twin wall.

The banding I am on about usually comes on a roll in a box. It's about 10mm wide and is a flexible metal band with holes along it. It's flexible and not really suitable for supporting flues.

I'm under the impression that on open flue it's ncs, on fan assisted it's at risk.

Last edited:
I think it may be the case that the housing association don't want it there as they are taking it out and want it replaced with twin wall.

The banding I am on about usually comes on a roll in a box. It's about 10mm thick and is a flexible metal band with holes along it. It's flexible and not really suitable for supporting flues.

I'm under the impression that on open flue it's ncs, on fan assisted it's at risk.

once people know there is ab in there house/flat claims start going in :D

This stuff

http://m.NoLinkingToThis/p/galvanised-band-12mm-x-10m/18298

punch band or roll a band not for sporting ab flues tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are Asbestos Flues Still ok to be used? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at...
Replies
Views
hi, I am after some advice, I recently fitted a new gas valve to a vaillant ecotec earlier. the boiler was fitted in 2015 and has been serviced...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock