Search the forum,

Discuss Apprentice starting out need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Apprentice14

Started an apprenticeship in September but I can't seem to get the basics right, it's frustrating myself and my mentor, is there any tips or advice someone can give to be consistent in my work and how to improve? Thanks in advance!

what aspect can you not grasp? If you only started in september then i wouldnt worry too much but take everything in that your mentor tells you, ask loads of questions, pre-empt what tools he will need and have them ready when he needs them. Read books, its all about learning. Im assuming your just out of school.

Hi mate, still on basics like toilet cysterns, sinks and radiators haven't started any pipe work yet, just not getting them right always seems to be a mistake every time..

Just turned 18, can't seem to keep my focus during work Aswell always seem to be switching off, is it me or is this normal for an apprentice? there's so much to take in

Hi mate, still on basics like toilet cysterns, sinks and radiators haven't started any pipe work yet, just not getting them right always seems to be a mistake every time..

You're expected to make mistakes. Mistakes are how you learn. Don't rush. Think ahead and plan things out in your mind before you start.
It all takes time. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks for the quick reply, is there anything I can do in the house you'd recommend that can benefit me in anyway? I really want to succeed and become a good plumber but its frustrating being a slow starter

that could just be because its all new to you and your panicking at getting things wrong. are you doing day release and time on the job or just college course.
do your homework, look in books and try to follow the system in your house. You learn by mistakes and any good mentor knows that and wont be on your back about it.

Last edited:
If you do decide to practice at home with Poundland pipe slices , cheap tools only half work !

Hi apprentice14 you have made a good move joining the forums.......it will get easier some of us have been doing this for many years and from time to time come on here for advice ....stick with it and as said ask if you are not sure......oh and stay off your phone...lol....all the best regards Turnpin:welcome:

stay safe and just keep slugging at it, any problems just post them up theres decades of wisdom on here so if we havent figured a work around by now its not worth it :D

is there anything I can do in the house you'd recommend that can benefit me in anyway?

Pull yer mothers bathroom out at the weekend and refit it. B&Q are open till 8 and you will learn loads about what not to do :)

A couple of months into the trade you are still pretty useless. We all were. 1st 3 months i worked i used to think all i did was make tea go to the van or the shop and sweep up but i didn't really. One advantage we had was mobiles weren't invented so that saved a lot of grief.
Just pay attention to what is happening and try to think about what will be needed next and hand it to him before he asks. Never be scared to ask why something is being done that way or where that pipe goes or any other thing you might think is stupid but its not.

You could try making things in the shed or garage if you have one. It doesn't need to be plumbing things. Saw some bits of wood up and nail them to something, screw a couple of half bricks together, anything at all as what you want to be doing is learning to work with your hands and tools.

Try to draw where the pipes go in a house. Look at your own house and try to follow them and draw it.
It might seem pretty boring but it will get you away from a computer for a bit and once you learn things yourself it is like riding a bike. You don't forget.

You'll learn quicker than you think.

When you say you're not getting things right, can you give us some examples of what you're struggling with ?
Is it making joints ?

We've all started at basics. I remember first thing we did at college back in 1800 and frozen to death was to file a 11/4" square piece of steel into a 1" square piece of steel.
Boring as hell and I couldn't for the life in me think why I was doing that. I know it was to get you to use a file, measure accurate and use a square, but at the time I thought they were joking.

Give us some idea and i'm sure you'll find they're a helpful lot on here !

Did you do any practical work at school at all? When I left Secondary at 16 I had completed 5 years of metalwork, woodwork and technical drawing. Weekly that was about a day and a half of practical work. In addition I built motor bikes and worked on cars with my old man. Even then my first 6 months as an apprentice was spent on hand tools filing and fitting.

If your man isn't explaining jobs properly it will be tough. Ask why stuff is done as well as how.

Did you do any practical work at school at all? When I left Secondary at 16 I had completed 5 years of metalwork, woodwork and technical drawing. Weekly that was about a day and a half of practical work. In addition I built motor bikes and worked on cars with my old man. Even then my first 6 months as an apprentice was spent on hand tools filing and fitting.

If your man isn't explaining jobs properly it will be tough. Ask why stuff is done as well as how.

Changing oil, filter and points on Bedford CF
Sorting scrap metal out into different piles.
all sorts of stuff.
At school, like you say, tec drawing, wood work, metal work, control technology, design.

I don't think the world is the same any more.

On the scrap metal, I used to sort it into
Lead
Brass
Brazery
Gun metal
Heavy copper
Clean copper
Aluminium.
That will no doubt be against Health and safety rules now.

In fact, my last apprentice spent 16 weeks on Health and safety, so it's no real wonder he was slow to get going.

I'm thinking they are taught different now and by different types of people.

The world is a very different place !

Keep yoyr phome in your pocket and your hands out of yours pockets, if u show a willining to learn you will get there, take it a day at a time and take in whats going on everyday. The last 3 apprentices i had were morr interested in looking cool and gassing than wanting to learn. You sound like you want to learn so you will, it will take time because there is an awful log to learn so dont rush and keep your eyes open

Keep yoyr phome in your pocket and your hands out of yours pockets, if u show a willining to learn you will get there, take it a day at a time and take in whats going on everyday. The last 3 apprentices i had were morr interested in looking cool and gassing than wanting to learn. You sound like you want to learn so you will, it will take time because there is an awful log to learn so dont rush and keep your eyes open ������������

That is true. Most young folk I know can't keep their eyes off a phone. My last apprentice had to leave his in the van. At dinner time you couldn't talk to the kid, too busy texting and face booking.

I'm not saying that this guy does that by the way !

Just turned 18, can't seem to keep my focus during work Aswell always seem to be switching off, is it me or is this normal for an apprentice? there's so much to take in

Tell me more about this lack of focus, is it always in the afternoon or during the same type of job? What are you thinking about, your motorbike, car, girlfriend?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apprentice starting out need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock