Search the forum,

Discuss Anybody good with figure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a couple of rental houses. One tennant has left, and the new one is not moving in until July. It needs the bathroom updating, so I'm going to do it next week.
here's the conundrum!

if I do it, then invoice it to the rental house. I will be able to claim tax relief on the property. But, will pay tax on the invoice to my business.
So im thinking, I will just do it and the business can stand my time and the bathroom suite. This way I will claim back the vat through the company and no tax is paid.??

am I right??
or is there a better way?

not worth worrying about either way you claim the suite as an expense, just your time to install it required, not really worth charging to the flat as all gets taxed one way or another.

I have a couple of rental houses. One tennant has left, and the new one is not moving in until July. It needs the bathroom updating, so I'm going to do it next week.
here's the conundrum!

if I do it, then invoice it to the rental house. I will be able to claim tax relief on the property. But, will pay tax on the invoice to my business.
So im thinking, I will just do it and the business can stand my time and the bathroom suite. This way I will claim back the vat through the company and no tax is paid.??

am I right??
or is there a better way?

Depends on how you've structured your directorships (assuming Ltd co?).

If you are director of the plumbing firm, and earn below the 40% threshold, and someone else is director of the rental firm and is above the 40% threshold, then the less they earn and the more you do (up to the threshold), the more tax efficient it is to invoice the rental firm.

If you're director of both then it makes no difference unless you earn no salary or dividends from one of the firms. If it's all one business then you need a better accountant! :D

As Masood says, it depends on how you have structured your affairs.

However, if you own both the property and the plumbing business 100%, and either a) they are both VAT registered or b) neither of them is VAT registered, then its probably best in the long run not to charge it at all. By creating an invoice you are only moving assets around your personal portfolio, and inviting the chancellor to take a portion of the transaction.

As Masood says, it depends on how you have structured your affairs.

However, if you own both the property and the plumbing business 100%, and either a) they are both VAT registered or b) neither of them is VAT registered, then its probably best in the long run not to charge it at all. By creating an invoice you are only moving assets around your personal portfolio, and inviting the chancellor to take a portion of the transaction.

Yippee! No paperwork,

Remember with rental you can't claim the labour charge if you DIY

Accountant told me that last year, worth checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anybody good with figure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock