Search the forum,

Discuss Any logic to hosing rads out before a powerflush?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

In passing, it was mentioned that when the system's drained down, it would benefit it if I took the rads off and sort of jiggle them round and run a garden hose to help clear them through before a flush was done but, and unless I'm not understanding how a flush works, shouldn't the chemicals and pressure negate any point in all that effort with the garden hose?! Plumber at work said it was pointless but thought I'd open it up to debate on here.

Might well be a short debate. :)

Cos the one at work says it's pointless, the one fitting the boiler on Monday says it's useful, both are friends so who's knowledge and opinion should I trust? That's solely why I asked on here.

Not really, bit of a daft analogy; If all on here come back saying one is completely wrong and the other right then I have an answer. Recently had a plumber quoting who obviously didn't know about the boiler they were fitting and got quite embarrassed when my homework had pointed out something to him (hope he doesn't push off to rectify mistakes if he's done what he was gonna do if I'd gotten him to fit mine!).

If you don't know the answer hammers, then just say so, I'm sure it won't be held against you! ;-)

Put it this way it won't harm

Fair one, just wondered if it's causing me a few hours work for much benefit or not .

It is your rads and if you are concerned about them and if they definitely have sludge, then go ahead and wash them outside individually with high pressure and a garden hose.
Common sense would say that washing the most of the sludge out would be best.
Put it this way, - if your car got covered in mud, 2 inches thick, would you use car wash chemicals first, - or would you hose the majority of the mud off first?
I have cleaned individual rads by just a hose and I know I have at least got the bulk of the dirt out.
Just be sure to not cause the plumbers any time lost

Last edited:
Fair one, just wondered if it's causing me a few hours work for much benefit or not .

Depends on rads have had some with a bit in others not a spec, be on the safe side

If your gonna do it, then do it, it will help.....if you want your plumber who's flushing to do it, you need to put your hands in your pocket.....

Not really, bit of a daft analogy; If all on here come back saying one is completely wrong and the other right then I have an answer.

If you don't know the answer hammers, then just say so, I'm sure it won't be held against you! ;-)

Not a daft analogy at all. There are several different methods/procedures for system flushing. Some will swear by one method, others will call him a fool; and swear by another. So the analogy holds.

Times better spent running the system with some cleaner in it for a week or so before the powerflush if possible

On the point raised about some systems have spotless rads, others sludged, if it is bad you might need to investigate why your system was dirty, particularly if a sealed system.
Maybe poor maintenance by you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any logic to hosing rads out before a powerflush?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock