Discuss any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly there are law's against price fixing.

i have said this before.. there is no law about charging the going rate.....
unless you have a business the size of barclays bank.!!!!
i find it hard to believe you and the other 100,000 plumbers taken to court over it!!!!!!!

show me a solicitor doing £30 an hour and i will show you 100 doing £90-120 an hour, its the going rate and every trade should stick to the 'value' or if not, promote a special offer to gain custom only to pick it up on extended services rendered.

i like people working for nothing as eventually they will get out of the business due to going bust or 'theres no money in it' ethos. when there gone, leaves more for the rest charging the appropriate rates.

That was in response to: "there should be a standard price".

Also, I couldn't agree with you more; I'd also like to see a solicitor doing £30 per hour.

For most self employed people, being work shy is not an issue, it's a fair price for the job most tradesmen want,
this forum is full of people moaning that there's no work and that prices of jobs are falling.
it's the people who do servicing for £30, that are causing prices to fall, if everyone charged say £80 for a service, then thats what the customer would have to pay.

cost cutting only benefits the customers

I am not in the game for ripping my customers off, never have been and never will be. If you think £80 is a fair price for something that can more than likely be done in 30 mins then you go ahead and charge it, £160 per hour. All I am saying is that I am more than happy earning less that and be full week in week out. The only people who want to see a standard price of £80 per service are the ones who aint doing much and need to charge double just to get a decent wage, I much prefer to earn my money fairly and dont have to drag the job out for an hour or longer just to justify the high price.
Cost cutting doesnt only benefit the customer, if that guy is doing 40 services a week now at least £29 a go and all the extra work on top, I would say he is benefiting a great deal, £1200 plus per week, every week.
You say the forum is full of moaners going on about no work and low prices, well I have a plan for you lot, lower your prices, get an advert showing in your local rag your NEW low prices and you WILL get work. But be carefull not to show these on here as they will rip the **** out of you for doing it, doing what?? using initiative and getting work.

Last edited:
if that guy is doing 40 services a week now at least £29 a go and all the extra work on top, I would say he is benefiting a great deal, £1200 plus per week, every week.

playing the devils advocate please consider this:
40 services x 29.99 = 1199.60
15 services x 80.00 = 1200.00

who do you think will retire sooner and live longer just a thought :yesnod:
customers perceive cost and value for money on the service they receive and this doesnt relate just to your plumbing skills but also tidyess, presentation, customer service, puncuality etc. all these skills (and they are skills) are just as important in a business so why shouldnt a plumber charge a premium if they possess these skills. although at £80.00 for a service i would expect my car washing aswell ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not in the game for ripping my customers off, never have been and never will be. If you think £80 is a fair price for something that can more than likely be done in 30 mins then you go ahead and charge it, £160 per hour. All I am saying is that I am more than happy earning less that and be full week in week out. The only people who want to see a standard price of £80 per service are the ones who aint doing much and need to charge double just to get a decent wage, I much prefer to earn my money fairly and dont have to drag the job out for an hour or longer just to justify the high price.
Cost cutting doesnt only benefit the customer, if that guy is doing 40 services a week now at least £29 a go and all the extra work on top, I would say he is benefiting a great deal, £1200 plus per week, every week.
You say the forum is full of moaners going on about no work and low prices, well I have a plan for you lot, lower your prices, get an advert showing in your local rag your NEW low prices and you WILL get work. But be carefull not to show these on here as they will rip the **** out of you for doing it, doing what?? using initiative and getting work.

Theres no way you can do a thorugh boiler service in 30 mins

playing the devils advocate please consider this:
40 services x 29.99 = 1199.60
15 services x 80.00 = 1200.00

who do you think will retire sooner and live longer just a thought :yesnod:
customers perceive cost and value for money on the service they receive and this doesnt relate just to your plumbing skills but also tidyess, presentation, customer service, puncuality etc. all these skills (and they are skills) are just as important in a business so why shouldnt a plumber charge a premium if they possess these skills. although at £80.00 for a service i would expect my car washing aswell ;0)

But if one of these £30 a service guy lands on your plot, you suddenly look very overpriced and lose work, then he is still doing 40 and you do 5 at £80. Plus servicing is hardly going to tire anybody out is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce Master Drain Ltd, your go-to expert for top-notch drain installation and repair services. Here's what...
Replies
Views
Hi all We had a boiler (Potterton Assure hot water and heating system with header tank) fitted two years ago and been serviced twice by Baxi...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock