Discuss any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont have a problem with competition and pricing if your doing a proper job. but this is how i see it.
1. if your prices are low custs will always want that low price.
2. low prices might mean more work but it also means you have to work 2 , 3 , 4 times harder than a guy who's doing 1 service at 2 ,3,4 times the price
3. charging low prices means you will prob mean working life will be a lot longer. i aint working past 60 yrs old less if possible.
4.you'll drive yourself into the ground.
5. why spend all those years training to charge peanuts.
6. i might be a plumber and gas engineer but i'm also a business man not a charity and the name of the game is to make money. i have kids wife mortgage etc. profit isnt a dirty word.
i charge £60.00 an hour labour even more out of hours and look to make a min £600 clear on a straight swap boiler change with powerflushing charged extra. i might not get loads of boilers swaps but i get enough to be comfortable and do plenty repairs and servicing.

i aint the busiest in the world in these hard times but im doing alright but when this slump does eventually end my prices will be same bar inflationary pressures. so my custs wont be expecting cheap prices. i get a lot of repeat business and recommendations.

I think if your confident in your own abilities then charge what you want

This maybe why you aint busy, if you charge less or advertise at a lower price you will get more work. Then you can charge £40 per hour but be working 40 hours a week instead of 10 or 20. Just a thought.

This maybe why you aint busy, if you charge less or advertise at a lower price you will get more work. Then you can charge £40 per hour but be working 40 hours a week instead of 10 or 20. Just a thought.

with the greatest of respect i dont think you have understood the point i am trying to make.

whats the point of being busy if your making peanuts or just surviving. i would say i'm doing on average 30 hours a week plumbing excluding all the other crap we have to do.

and just to clear things up it was in no way intended at anyone directly just my thoughts . i do a fair bit out of hours work so i can on a bad week work 10-20 in week and still clear a decent whack.

example last saturday hebden bridge flooded. cust calls wanted all gas checking as meter had been under 8 ft of water in the cellar. checked everything out all ok after checking water heater, cooker,meter etc( didnt really expect any problems) then property either side asked to me do same whilst i was there. i told em all price all custs happy as insurance were paying 5 hours later 600 quid richer.

i charge what i want to charge, and i think my customers are happy. im not the cheapest and probaly not the best, but im curtious, prompt and genuine, i have only been on my own coming up 2 years and my work is building up slowly but surely! word of mouth is quite simply the best form of advertising as these people want you first and worry about your price second!

with the greatest of respect i dont think you have understood the point i am trying to make.

whats the point of being busy if your making peanuts or just surviving. i would say i'm doing on average 30 hours a week plumbing excluding all the other crap we have to do.

and just to clear things up it was in no way intended at anyone directly just my thoughts . i do a fair bit out of hours work so i can on a bad week work 10-20 in week and still clear a decent whack.

example last saturday hebden bridge flooded. cust calls wanted all gas checking as meter had been under 8 ft of water in the cellar. checked everything out all ok after checking water heater, cooker,meter etc( didnt really expect any problems) then property either side asked to me do same whilst i was there. i told em all price all custs happy as insurance were paying 5 hours later 600 quid richer.

Is that your normal charge or was it higher as insurance company will be paying?

This £30 pound service is suddenly become more common , seen it advertised a few more times in my town now , think this post must be having an effect!

Hmm! Halesowen seems to have what appears to be a good fair trade attitude towards customers, we need more of it in this country. It is not all about the gas fitter, there are other people to consider in a contract. You can't moan about bankers and then take the same attitudes yourself

This was finished today took 2 days, orignal boiler in kitchen below, run new 28mm gas and fit new Worcester combi. Pipes straight, clipped, no runs on solder. Quick does not mean rough.

Great to see someone else who takes pride in their work, 99% of installations I see whether new or old have been tossed in.

I'm doing boiler services at the moment for £30. Takes me on average 40 mins to do a full service, bit longer if it's a back boiler or an older boiler. Worked for a guy for 5 years (who has been a gas engineer over 30 years, and was one of the first Corgi reg engineers in the country) who charges £45 for a service and has done for as long as I can remember. I've started out on my own and £30 seemed like a good price to get me some work.

Way I see it, £30 for less than an hours work, i'm pretty happy. Lots of heating engineers in my town, i've got to get started somewhere. And a £30 service is working wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any boiler serviced for £29.99 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hey, forum friends! 👋 Excited to introduce Master Drain Ltd, your go-to expert for top-notch drain installation and repair services. Here's what...
Replies
Views
Hi all We had a boiler (Potterton Assure hot water and heating system with header tank) fitted two years ago and been serviced twice by Baxi...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock