Search the forum,

Discuss Am i Qualified to work on Unvvented ?(G3) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
alrite everyone
this is my first post so pardon my ignorance

i have just recently completed my 4 year plumbing apprenticeship (in Scotland) and was laid off, so ive been doing homers to keep the ball rolling. anyway
i friend ask me to look at his unvented tank. during my apprenticeship we were told that were qualified to work on unvented systems. i have just recently read on these forms that you need a G3 ticked to work on unvented which was news to me.
the question is am i qualified to work on unvented systems as i have covered this in my apprenticeship or must i now obtain a G3 qualification.
any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers

Im not sure but I am like you.
Spent loads of time with unvented at college etc
But not qualified. Still need to do g3 ticket when suitable, if at all

Scotland is different I think. Your regs are variations of ours as buildings and services are very new north of the wall. I heard a rumour your getting television shortly due to the massive success of the wireless ?

What was the qualification you both took ???
Check your final NVQ (SVQ) certificate it should state on this, & if you need to prove you have the Water Regs or Part G you show this.

As Chris pointed out Scottish Building Regs, do differ from England & Wales. However, I doubt (if you are not sure) that your SVQ will have equipped you with either Unvented (G3) or Water Regulations. This side of the border NVQ Level III does include these two separate qualifications.
These certificates are in addition to the City & Guilds or other awarding body certificates and the unvented cert must be renewed five yearly, whilst (at present) the water regs cert has no expiry date.
Therefore, I would suggest you seek further advice from your local Building Control Office or the Scottish equivalent.

alrite everyone
this is my first post so pardon my ignorance

i have just recently completed my 4 year plumbing apprenticeship (in Scotland) and was laid off, so ive been doing homers to keep the ball rolling. anyway
i friend ask me to look at his unvented tank. during my apprenticeship we were told that were qualified to work on unvented systems. i have just recently read on these forms that you need a G3 ticked to work on unvented which was news to me.
the question is am i qualified to work on unvented systems as i have covered this in my apprenticeship or must i now obtain a G3 qualification.
any advice would be greatly appreciated
cheers

It's very unlikely you will have done G3 as part of your apprenticeship, some do at the end of year 3 when their gas is done if they get through it quickly and pass without resists, it's a kind of reward, I suppose, but to be honest if you don't know if you did the exam or not then you aren't filling me with confidence to go and work on one, what college were you at? Unfortunately the colleges are now shut till mid August but you might be able to find out whether you have the qual by phoning snipef in Edinburgh, you must know who your rep was

As Chris pointed out Scottish Building Regs, do differ from England & Wales. However, I doubt (if you are not sure) that your SVQ will have equipped you with either Unvented (G3) or Water Regulations. This side of the border NVQ Level III does include these two separate qualifications.
These certificates are in addition to the City & Guilds or other awarding body certificates and the unvented cert must be renewed five yearly, whilst (at present) the water regs cert has no expiry date.
Therefore, I would suggest you seek further advice from your local Building Control Office or the Scottish equivalent.

Water bylaws are now included in 5 yearly renewal up here, kerching!!!!!!!!!

When i done my SNVQ level 3 g3 was included so defo check your paperwork and im based north scotland.

It's very unlikely you will have done G3 as part of your apprenticeship, some do at the end of year 3 when their gas is done if they get through it quickly and pass without resists, it's a kind of reward, I suppose, but to be honest if you don't know if you did the exam or not then you aren't filling me with confidence to go and work on one, what college were you at? Unfortunately the colleges are now shut till mid August but you might be able to find out whether you have the qual by phoning snipef in Edinburgh, you must know who your rep was
Hi Kirk
Our new qualification (6189 NVQ L.3 Diploma) is fully mapped across to the Water Regs & Unvented so once the apprentices have competed the qualification they are accredited with them both (& for that matter the CCN1 gas as well) after the 5 years they then start the normal RE-ACS.

Last edited:
Beg my pardon i just read kirks post and i think it was as he said . During the 3rd year G3 was in along with gas so if its SNVQ L3 and not gas then unsure ... sorry.
Oh welcome to the forum Adbulqs

Hi Chris,
The current 6189 Level III Diploma has various pathway options, many FE colleges are not running the option, opting for the less expensive Environmental option.
The Gas option allows direct access to Gas Safe registration, so very in-depth training = expensive!

Hi Chris,
The current 6189 Level III Diploma has various pathway options, many FE colleges are not running the option, opting for the less expensive Environmental option.
The Gas option allows direct access to Gas Safe registration, so very in-depth training = expensive!
Hi teabreak & welcome to the forum.
We are one of them training centres that currently run the Environmental option (solar thermal) & not the gas, its a shame but JTL will not fund it & a lot of the students can't gather all the work evidence required.

What part of the country are you based ?? I suppose you are now on here cos of that nice long holiday you have in front of you ? LOL

Hi Kirk
Our new qualification (6189 NVQ L.3 Diploma) is fully mapped across to the Water Regs & Unvented so once the apprentices have competed the qualification they are accredited with them both (& for that matter the CCN1 gas as well) after the 5 years they then start the normal RE-ACS.

I know some students did unvented at the two colleges I was doing some assessing at, but they didn't all do it, some ran out of time doing the core course, because they thought they were gangsters and were hardly ever there haha,

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the welcome. Based in East Anglia (sounds better than Norfolk). The long hols are essential to recover from all the petty politics etc.
We also run the Solar Thermal option, for similar reasons.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am i Qualified to work on Unvvented ?(G3) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme (apprenticeship) I am now qualified in CCN1, CENWAT, MET1, Unvented, CONGLP1PD. I need to get my CONGLP1-LAV as that is the work I am hoping to predominately do...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm a competent DIYer with an engineering background and am active in Heritage Buildings. I never touch anything I'm not allowed to albeit I've worked on the wet side of my own heating on the central heating circuit before when I had a combi - balancing rads, add a Fernox TF1, washing...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, my nephew (18 yrs) has completed an apprenticeship as a plumber/gas engineer in Italy and is fully qualified with a couple of years experience assisting an established plumber/engineer as part of his course. He would like to come and work in the UK as he is struggling to find work and he...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an elderly neighbour getting quotes who has asked for my help and opinion, I don't really have a good one as it is not my area of expertise but I am trying to help. The quotes are all similar prices but She seemed to like one person and quote more than the others and I noticed that...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock