Discuss Alternative to Monodraught balanced vertical flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JEF

First of all hello to all here.

First post, so here goes...........

I found Monodraught after a bit of Googling, and their balanced vertical flue system seems to be the perfect solution to my "plant room" problem.

[DLMURL="http://www.monodraught.com/other-products/vbf/index.php"]Monodraught Ltd - Vertical balance Flues[/DLMURL]

Unfortunately they will not quote as the boiler is less than 70kW
(I have no idea why, as their flyer states 30kW to 6MW).

The problem:

The location of the boiler room on the ground floor does not have access to external ventilation and is approx 3M x 3M x 3.2M high.

The house is currently under reconstruction and is semi underground, as it is built into a slope.
The property is detached with a pitched roof and is not sheltered by taller buildings,

It will house a Janfire duoflamePE50. The maximum output is 46kw, but it is set to 30kw on delivery.

The flue diameter is 150mm with a length of 12M to the ridge with 2 off 60 degree bends. There will be a draught regulator included in the flue.

One problem that I can see is that the floor joists of the first and second floor are 150 x150mm wooden beams at 450mm centres, only leaving a gap of 300mm for the balanced flue to pass.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

James

Last edited by a moderator:
you would need to get this designed by a mechanical services engineer but you can make a sealed compartment into a balanced compartment using ductwork to supply air
boiler doesnt mean anything to me im talking about gas but possibly similar for oil lpg would be illegal below groun
can you not use a roomsealed fanflued appliance

Thank you Steve for your reply.

Yes that is basically what the Monodraught does, create a balanced compartment with a co-axial flue. The clever bit I guess is the terminal and the sizing of low and high level vents, which I assume would be required.

The boiler is log and pellet fired http://www.framtidsenergi.se/visa_produkt.asp?id=220&t=Janfire+Duoflame〈=sv (Sorry in Swedish) as we have no gas here.

For some reason wood burning boilers don't seem to use balanced flues, though IMHO it is a better system.

Best regards
James

The boiler is a dual burner version of this [DLMURL]http://www.janfire.com/eng/images/docs/janfire_uk_ed1.pdf[/DLMURL]
(5.2Mb English)

Regards
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Jef

The Janifre Duoflame must be installed with a inline chimney fax. and is nota 150mm flue and should be a 175mm dia.
Can you confirm your area locationa nd your installer

I have been a user of the janfire for three years and may be able to assist you.

the syatem should have independent pumps and control to all systems
ie radiator, under floor and domestic hot water and solar.

me live local to aberdeenshire

Have you tried contacting HETAS? They are the solid fuel registration scheme provider. If they can't give specific advice, they are sure to point you in the right direction. I have not heard of balanced flued compartment being used for solid fuel. Its mainly a gas industry thing.

hi

if the boiler flue is installed correctly with the in line fan, then the flue system will be self balancing and the distance and bends in teh flue will have no effect,

if the flue has been installed at 150mm dia and not 175mm dia and the fan has not been installed, complain to the local planning department who will take action against the boiler installer.

The boiler supplier installer should have sorted all of this out for you.

cheers

Hi kotpat1

Is the 175mm flue and in-line fan a UK regs thing?
Janfire themselves quoted 150mm 0.15 mbar under-pressure with draught regulator?
Reading up on flue sizes for wood burners this does seem a bit on the small size.

This could be due to the location (Spain).

I'm currently trying to sort out a system that I believe will work, and be safe, before proceeding in engaging a heating contractor. The reason for this is it depends on the chimney type used i.e. masonry (lined), pre-fabricated or double walled.

Thank you for your offer to help, out of interest which model of Janfire boiler do you have?
Do you run on logs as well as pellets?

Reg Man

The idea of a balanced flue was first suggested by a Spanish heating salesman. It sounded like a logical way to go and indeed Schiedel and Tona both have a product for just this.
I am, however completely mystified as to how they conform to supply air cross sectional area unless they are intended for very low powered boilers.

I am not sure what the safety implications are for solid fuel balanced flue compartment. The Gas industry compartment doors are interlocked with the boilers to shut them down if you enter the plant room. Obviously that is not posssisble with solid fuel.

hi send me your email address as the janfire docs translated from german and also a english copy state flue dia 175min

I have a 23 kw pellet boiler and we are awaiting its removal as being to small for our home and the ash scrapper continually jammes and the grea box is only plastic gears.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alternative to Monodraught balanced vertical flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Bear with me.... Bob goes to a job (CP12) System boiler with vertical flue. Working fine, gets flue analyser on it....Ratio 0.0700. Condemns...
Replies
Views
P
Right, I am at my wits end. Firstly I cannot find a plumber who will come and commission my new ST40 NuWay oil burner fitted to my Range Cooker...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
M
A friend has just moved house and has a conventional gas boiler (on the ground floor) and indirect HWC (22mm feed & return) with 4 radiators fed...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, first post here. I have a problem in our house which I am getting fed up with because the landlord will not fix. I have had electrician...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
R
Hi everyone, I have a customer who's vaillant turbomax combi boiler cuts out occassionally. However by switching it off and then back on it...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock