Search the forum,

Discuss Alpha Intec 28X intermittent heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

SlimD

Gas Engineer
Anyone familiar with alphas? Not worked on one before.
I had one a couple of days ago that had no heating but DHW was working ok. Problem started out intermittent then got worse until it didn't work at all.
Heating would heat up the flow to max then shut down quite quickly until temp dropped right down to about 25 degrees C. Then after a while try again. No heat got beyond the first rad.
Diverter valve and pump appeared to be ok and working.
Checked magnaclean filter and cleaned it out then heating started working fine so I assumed it was a blockage affecting flow/return.
I had also noticed that the flow temperature dial when turned made the figures on the display jump around instead of just rising or falling steadily as they should. This made me wonder about the PCB but the boiler seemed to be working normally at this point.
Customer called me today saying heating not working again and also that DHW had been playing up too, occasionally running cold.
Boiler has not shown any error codes at any point.
Anyone familiar with any common problems on these boilers that might point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have you tried to link out the external controls?

Also try running it in service mode see what it does it may give you an error code. Also if it makes a noise like a helicopter when in service mode the heat exchanger may be blocked up.

I’ll probably change the termistors for the temperature fluctuations.

You said no heat got beyond the first rad.
Sounds like a blockage in the heating system that may now have found its way to the boiler/hex to affect DHW. The boiler is unable to dissipate its heat, thus shuts down.
Or pump is not circulating the hot water fast enough?

Thanks. I’ve since spoken to the customer again and he said it works sporadically so I’m leaning more towards a blockage too.
I think this could benefit from a power flush.

Reply to Alpha Intec 28X intermittent heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
Hi all , on a pressurised heating system is it ok to take a flow and return up into the loft and down again to install new radiator also would it be prudent to put AAV at the high point , thanx in advance . Howy
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock