Discuss Alpha CB24 !!!High Pressure!!! even when the heating and DHW is turned off.....Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

krammy

Here's a challenge for anyone man enough to try and solve!

We have an 11 year old, Alpha CB24, two weeks ago, we noticed dripping from the bottom of the boiler, and the pressure gauge was well over 3bar. I then drained some water from the system, this reduced the pressure.

Everything was fine until yesterday. I woke up at 7am water all over the floor and the pressure gauge over 3bar again. So again I drained the system (down to the green zone). I turned the room thermostat down to minimum, turned off the central heating at the programmer. By 9am the pressure was back up to 3bar+............WTF?

We've had a plumber round who suggested the expansion vessel had gone and suggested we change the Pressure release valve. Does this sound reasonable? I can understand the pressure increasing while the central heating warms up, but the fact that the pressure increased even when the system was off/cold makes me wonder if the heat exchanger could be split or perforated?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....

Re: Alpha CB24 !!!High Pressure!!! even when the heating and DHW is turned off.....He

if it expands with ch off then the expansion vessel probibly isnt it

maybe a pin hole in heat exchanger, or filling loop passing ?

Re: Alpha CB24 !!!High Pressure!!! even when the heating and DHW is turned off.....He

close the cold main into boiler tonight, see if it has rose in morning

Good idea, I will isolate the cold fill.

if it expands with ch off then the expansion vessel probibly isnt it

maybe a pin hole in heat exchanger, or filling loop passing ?

Thanks again for your help with this, but how do I tell if its the heat exchanger or filling loop? I closed the cold fill last night and nothing has changed overnight or all day, the boiler has maintained its correct pressure, the heating is working perfectly. I have just turned on the cold fill to see if the pressure rises. Any tips how I can identify the root cause of the problem?

Sounds as if you already have identified the root cause of the problem. The cold fill should be closed off at both ends of the loop at all times except when you are actually filling the system. The loop itself should be disconnected and hung up somewhere handy nearby. There should also be little screw-on caps to seal the filler loop attachment points.

If the filler loop is left connected, there is a danger that any small leak can bring your system up to mains pressure. As shutting off the mains has stopped the problem, it sounds like this is what has been happening on yours.

Sounds as if you already have identified the root cause of the problem. The cold fill should be closed off at both ends of the loop at all times except when you are actually filling the system. The loop itself should be disconnected and hung up somewhere handy nearby. There should also be little screw-on caps to seal the filler loop attachment points.

If the filler loop is left connected, there is a danger that any small leak can bring your system up to mains pressure. As shutting off the mains has stopped the problem, it sounds like this is what has been happening on yours.

When I say closed the cold fill, I mean isolated the 15mm mains inlet into the boiler, so when I do this I have no DHW!
The filler loop is a flexi hose with an isolator built in (this is how I would normally top up the pressure if/when required. i.e. its always closed) this flexi hose is connected at 90degress to the main water inlet, the other end of the flexi looks like it feeds into the 22mm heating return pipe, just below the pump! So no way, at that end, of turning this off or disconnecting it!

Have you had the vessel repressurised?

If you disconnect one side of the filling loop hose, then at least you will now whats what, and as long as the vessel has air in it!!

Last edited:

Not that I'm aware of. How would I repressurise it?

With a foot pump or similar, and it should of been checked when it was serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha CB24 !!!High Pressure!!! even when the heating and DHW is turned off.....Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock