Discuss All pipework replaced - still little to no heating downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

knightime

Hi,

Yesterday we had all the pipework for our central heating replaced, as we were having an issue with the rads downstairs not working (after a recent rad replacement and power flush).

When the guys left yesterday all the rads were working - we had full heat in all rads - boiling hot! We had the central heating on till around 10.30pm before shutting the system off.

However this morning, when the central came on, only the hallway rad was on, and it was barely hot. The rads for the dining room and the lounge were stone cold.

I dialed back the lockshields for the rads upstairs, as they were left fully on, and am confident they're nicely balanced as there's good heat coming out of them. The flow pipes into the rads upstairs are roasting hot.

The flow to the rad in the hallway is hot, not roasting, but hot. I've checked the pins on the TRVs on the two rads in the other rooms and they're pushing down/popping up ok i.e. not stuck. The lockshields on the rads downstairs are also fully open.

I checked the main flow pipe from the boiler to the heating downstairs - the pipe is boiling hot. But the return is cool to touch - not stone cold but not warm either.

I'm trying to get hold of the plumber but he's not answering, so will try again later.

In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions as to why, with new pipework, and with the rads working fine yesterday, they've suddenly stopped?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: the plumber came round, he checked the pump which he said was working fine. His opinion is we need a new boiler (ours is only 4 years old!). So we're now looking to get second/ third opinions, but any more advice is extremely appreciated!

SimonG sorry for not replying to your last post sooner. There is one 10mm pipe that has been teed into to feed another rad from one upstairs bedroom to another - they copied the flow of the old pipework when they replaced it with the new pipework.
What is his reasoning for new boiler??? On one hand he says the pumps fine and on the other the boilers shot??

Shouldnt tee off 10mm its too small and cant carry enough heat. If its plastic as well it will be even more restricted.

Do the pump & filter B4 anything else, simple to do on your boiler, Then if that fails to solve the problem ! its time to look at pipe-work

Last edited:
Just a quick update - we've got a different plumber coming to us on Thursday, but in the meantime the rad in our bedroom is now not receiving any heat, and the rads upstairs are barely warm - it's now 9.36pm and the central heating has been on since 4.30pm! I'll pass on the message re the pump and filter and will update. @Riley - yep, we thought the same thing! There's clearly no flow at all, although the boiler is putting out hot water (the flow pipe to downstairs is scalding hot!) I need to keep documenting this for anyone in the future who experiences the same issues. Really appreciate all the advice given to us so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a circulation problem and i would have thought an air lock would be the problem.
I would check the pipework to the boiler and see of the flow is red hot and the return cool, if so definate circulation problem or blockage

I know its been said already but defo get the filter checked, I've normally found however that if that's blocked you get a bit of banging coming from the boiler. Good luck with it

Cheers Dave - I'll get the plumber to check the filter too. You know you normally get that central heating 'sound' when it's on (water flowing through pipes sound), well that isn't there anymore - will keep you all posted!

*UPDATE*

Ok, so a new plumber came in, replaced the pump and checked the filter on the return valve (which was clear of blockages).

Whilst it initially appeared that the new pump was working (and in fact it is working - it's firing away once it drops temperature, which it wasn't doing before), the rads upstairs and downstairs aren't working as they should be.

Let me clarify - the downstairs rads aren't heating up at all, even though the flow pipe from upstairs to downstairs is scalding hot! Non of the flow pipes to those rads have any heat in them. Upstairs, all the flow pipes to the rads are burning hot. However, whilst the batchroom radiator and the one in our bedroom are 'warmish' (thermostats and lockshields are fully open), the rads in both the boys rooms are cool to the touch i.e. little to no heat at all.

I've told my plumber that I'll be monitoring it over today and tomorrow, but to be honest, that fact that the downstairs rads are stone cold (they've all been bled and are full of water), clearly a new pump has only solved a part of the problem.

Incidentally, I checked the two 22mm copper pipes coming out of the boiler (flow/return) - one of them is scalding, the other is very hot. The return pipe from downstairs back to the boiler is cold.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add to this thread, something I can relay back to the plumber for him to investigate on his next visit, please let me know and I'll pass the message on to him.

Cheers!

I still think there is a pjping issue. Is it or some parts an old 1 pipe converted into a 2 pipe system or setious air lock. How old is the system. Sorry havent looked through all posts as been busy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to All pipework replaced - still little to no heating downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back