Discuss Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

From what I have read (and this may be total fiction) to get any decent level of heat from an electric combi boiler it needs to have a rating of 20KW +, and anything over 14 KW requires 3 phase electricity supply. Not many domestic properties have 3 phase - and there would probably be an exorbitant charge to install it the way things are going.

The whole strategy needs a rethink. Who on earth are advising the government? An ASHP will be brilliant for about 0.0001% of the UK housing stock but even then the grant will just about get one delivered to the doorstep. Madness (not the band from Camden).

From what I have read (and this may be total fiction) to get any decent level of heat from an electric combi boiler it needs to have a rating of 20KW +, and anything over 14 KW requires 3 phase electricity supply. Not many domestic properties have 3 phase - and there would probably be an exorbitant charge to install it the way things are going.
That completely depends on the heat load required as 14kw on it's own would be fine to heat most properties, imagine how many rooms would require 2/3kw electrical heaters or less. The issue is the additional power required to heat hot water instanteously especially if it's a combi, crude but imagine electric showers are rated somewhere between 8 and 11kw and you have an idea.

How or why those Screwfix electric combis are A rated for hot water and D rated for central heating god only knows, perhaps someone in the know could elaborate.

25% rad output will keep most rooms up to temperature say 500watts, otherwise outside temperature control or heat pump set to 40C will never work as a 2kw rad with a 40C flow temp will only output ~ 570watts. Of course this setting would take hours to heat a room from cold, hence suited to 24/7 opration except that one can blast up the temp for a hour or two in the morning.

What a cracking thread and long may it continue!

1/ I am far from convinced (going off what I have read) that anthropological CO2 is the major cause of climate change. I am not saying that we have no effect on the environment because we certainly do but I think there are more important things to address than emissions from gas boilers.
2/ Heat pumps have been around for well over 60 years that know of and they haven't taken off yet, even with government backing. There is good reason too. As mentioned above, most existing homes would need to upgrade radiators or have a boiler or other heat generator as back up/support.
3/ They are too expensive.
4/ They are noisy! Vaillant have won the 'quiet award' but if you look at the figures, I think they are at best similar to the noise level of a conversation e.g. mid 50's in db. I also think that is for the smaller unit or a unit running at its lowest output? Not sure, need to read more on it but can you imagine having one outside every home. I am having this conversation with the neighbour at the moment, who wants to put one down the side of the house (approx 1.5M away) facing my kitchen extract fan. I can hear everything through this fan and I know it will drive me nuts if it goes ahead. Currently doing my utmost to put him off.
5/ I just completed a BEIS survey which was run for the government. As per usual, I thought that the questions were geared toward giving the answers they want as opposed to actually asking your opinion on heat pumps.

In my opinion the government would be better off asking direct questions to the engineers who work in the industry before pushing anything.

Think you are right that new builds are the place to start. If can't get those right then no hope.

Just accept that the so called MSM journalists are not likely to be up to the job . . .

How about starting a 38degrees petition to lobby Kwasi and co:

For the startup cash to fund, just stop southern HS2 (keep the Northern bits but with traditional ballast). Insulate Britain guys can organise that?

That should then leave enough cement etc. to go round for fixing Britain?

Cheers,

Roy (amateur plumber)

It was interesting to watch an interview on the news last night with an Italian in Rome who is upgrading his property.
He was installing insulation (it appeared to be external), new triple glazed windows, solar panels and an air source heat pump - at a cost of 100,000 Euros - and the Italian government was giving him 110,000 towards the cost (the extra 10,000 was an incentive bonus).

Perhaps our Governement should be talking to 'real world' experts and coming up with a prioritised list in order of what would make for an efficient way to make homes energy efficient (starting with better insulation) and giving 'staged' grants as people progressed through the list in the prioritised order - changing boiler would probably be the last thing to address.

That completely depends on the heat load required as 14kw on it's own would be fine to heat most properties, imagine how many rooms would require 2/3kw electrical heaters or less. The issue is the additional power required to heat hot water instanteously especially if it's a combi, crude but imagine electric showers are rated somewhere between 8 and 11kw and you have an idea.

How or why those Screwfix electric combis are A rated for hot water and D rated for central heating god only knows, perhaps someone in the know could elaborate.

I fitted an electric combi a few years back, it was 18kw but could be set in 3kw increments and was set at 12kw.
It had a store of water similar to an oil combi that help it produce hot water.

Reply to Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back