Discuss Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm getting so sick of the media and tories plugging ashp's like they are the solution to all our heating needs.

Latest news today, £5k grant towards the cost of replacing a gas boiler with an ashp. What a joke.

Every ashp system I've worked on and installed runs the heating at 40 degrees, great for a new build with fantastic insulation and underfloor heating but just simply wouldn't work in most of the houses in England.

Why is this never mentioned in the media?

Air source should be the last thing we do not the first, the first should be insulation and upsizing pipework.

Just think of all them new builds, built in the last 30 years with microbore pipework, some barely run on gas boilers nevermind air source.

It makes me wonder what other things the tories pretend to know what they are talking about

I think one of Boris' mates manufactures ashp's....
Totally agree kin waste of time never gonna work in older and small bore properties

To be honest, if it weren't so abysmally complicated, Italy's approach would be better. Here you can (theoretically) connect to biomass district heating and get 110% of the cost back (in practice you sell the stake to a bank which takes 10% so you just get a free install) or you can externally insulate/upgrade a boiler etc and get the same deal.

The problem is Italy is notorious for making the procedure so complex that you risk not meeting the criteria on a technicality, or the government pulling the subsidy when you've already spent the money. So the only people ordering such work are large firms that manage blocks of flats or whatever (effectively finance firms) that have the technical and legal knowledge to get it right, and a finger in the pie. Meanwhile the price of this kind of work has gone through the roof and the government pays... with my money.

As for the UK, Greta hit the nail on the head with her 'net zero bla bla bla'. Very easy to try the technofixes, but what might actually be more effective is if we stopped living in houses that have more than 500sq ft floor area per occupant. Of course, the problem with us having this level of discussion is that we'll never truly understand the 95% of people who aren't technical at all and rely on receiving disinterested and impartial information from product suppliers - and that, or course, applies equally to our politicians. The problem is that what we desperately need is systemic behavioural change - no more holidays abroad, massively reduced transport (actually travel less, live closer to work etc), make our 'stuff' last, and a reduction in consumerism, reduced consumption of meat (especially beef) and meat products. I do wonder if even a majority of Fridays for Future really understand that the reason 'They' are cutting down the rainforest and extracting fossil fuels is that We provide a market for it. Only then can we start lecturing other countries, but that is, of course, also essential (even if a lot of China's emissions is a result of 'stuff' we buy from them). Unfortunately, politicians of nearly all colours refuse to accept we might have to make do with less if we want to survive as a species and while the Green Party may get it, it then starts discussing things like homeopathy and possibly loses a lot of votes in the process.

Having said all that, what I've seen of humanity over the Covid period is making me feel I hope we go extinct as a species as quickly as possible and without taking too many other species with us. We're nothing special. [EDIT - bit harsh?]

Last edited:
The happiest and least destructive people are those with a “little life”, the old boys who live/work/play within a few square miles.

The youth laugh at them and think “they’re sad” , however their make do and mend attitude and simple domestic pleasures serve our planet well. Some have only ventured as far as the nearest big town (and they didn’t much care for that) and certainly have never been abroad on holiday.

To be honest, if it weren't so abysmally complicated, Italy's approach would be better. Here you can (theoretically) connect to biomass district heating and get 110% of the cost back (in practice you sell the stake to a bank which takes 10% so you just get a free install) or you can externally insulate/upgrade a boiler etc and get the same deal.

The problem is Italy is notorious for making the procedure so complex that you risk not meeting the criteria on a technicality, or the government pulling the subsidy when you've already spent the money. So the only people ordering such work are large firms that manage blocks of flats or whatever (effectively finance firms) that have the technical and legal knowledge to get it right, and a finger in the pie. Meanwhile the price of this kind of work has gone through the roof and the government pays... with my money.

As for the UK, Greta hit the nail on the head with her 'net zero bla bla bla'. Very easy to try the technofixes, but what might actually be more effective is if we stopped living in houses that have more than 500sq ft floor area per occupant. Of course, the problem with us having this level of discussion is that we'll never truly understand the 95% of people who aren't technical at all and rely on receiving disinterested and impartial information from product suppliers - and that, or course, applies equally to our politicians. The problem is that what we desperately need is systemic behavioural change - no more holidays abroad, massively reduced transport (actually travel less, live closer to work etc), make our 'stuff' last, and a reduction in consumerism, reduced consumption of meat (especially beef) and meat products. I do wonder if even a majority of Fridays for Future really understand that the reason 'They' are cutting down the rainforest and extracting fossil fuels is that We provide a market for it. Only then can we start lecturing other countries, but that is, of course, also essential (even if a lot of China's emissions is a result of 'stuff' we buy from them). Unfortunately, politicians of nearly all colours refuse to accept we might have to make do with less if we want to survive as a species and while the Green Party may get it, it then starts discussing things like homeopathy and possibly loses a lot of votes in the process.

Having said all that, what I've seen of humanity over the Covid period is making me feel I hope we go extinct as a species as quickly as possible and without taking too many other species with us. We're nothing special. [EDIT - bit harsh?]
“We are nothing special”

Assume the OP is talking about regular folk and not us registered gas safety engineers.

I am not a plumber, but when I heard about the grant I said to my wife that ASHP's are not the answer due to their low heat output compared to gas boilers.
She mentioned it to a friend whose husband immediately responded saying what was needed was an electric combi boiler - one of his friends has one and says it is just as effective as the gas boilerhe had previously in his 1980's house.
Does this sound likely as these boilers work on the same principle as ASHP's - don't they?

I am not a plumber, but when I heard about the grant I said to my wife that ASHP's are not the answer due to their low heat output compared to gas boilers.
She mentioned it to a friend whose husband immediately responded saying what was needed was an electric combi boiler - one of his friends has one and says it is just as effective as the gas boilerhe had previously in his 1980's house.
Does this sound likely as these boilers work on the same principle as ASHP's - don't they?

Afraid not, they may be effective but they are probably as efficient as a giant kettle.

See the energy rating on this one...

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/strom...er/791hr#product_additional_details_container

It’s just pie in the sky, what the media and our glorious government neglect to mention is the serious lack of materials needed to drive said revolution.... Tale semiconductors for instance.. Used in everything. Only 3 places in the world make them. Guess what. No one has any......

Heard this morning, Honeywell won’t be starting production of certain thermostats again till 2023... Best get buying boys n girls before the stocks run dry 🤦🏼‍♂️

As for Air source, I’m sure the nice 100 year plus houses with clay bricks, lime plaster will take most kindly to having impervious gypsum insulation added to the outside. Saved the planet but I’m afraid the mould has killed you

Reply to Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock