Discuss Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Jones82

Gas Engineer
I'm getting so sick of the media and tories plugging ashp's like they are the solution to all our heating needs.

Latest news today, £5k grant towards the cost of replacing a gas boiler with an ashp. What a joke.

Every ashp system I've worked on and installed runs the heating at 40 degrees, great for a new build with fantastic insulation and underfloor heating but just simply wouldn't work in most of the houses in England.

Why is this never mentioned in the media?

Air source should be the last thing we do not the first, the first should be insulation and upsizing pipework.

Just think of all them new builds, built in the last 30 years with microbore pipework, some barely run on gas boilers nevermind air source.

It makes me wonder what other things the tories pretend to know what they are talking about

I think one of Boris' mates manufactures ashp's....

Yep, throw a dog a bone and they don't care who or why it's been thrown.

I was wondering about hydrogen compatible boilers in the mix for zero carbon, doesn't seem much point as the carbon reduction is fairly negligible and producing hydrogen is still mightily expensive atm. Are they really going to manage to ween folks off gas use and hope the market will take up the slack?

From what I understand the £5000 is not means tested, so we’re subsidising the wealthy too. What happened to Hydrogen through the gas network? This seemed much more practical from my limited understanding.

I've also heard that the gas network will be converted to hyrdogen then gas valves changed in boilers.

I must admit, I'd assumed hydrogen burns with 0 emissions, perhaps this isn't the case.

I think the real answer lies with insulating our homes but perhaps this just isnt feasable in our old english housing stock.

The fact is most of our homes and heating systems are designed around high heat loss and high flow temperatures to compensate.

I wouldn't reccomend an ashp to someone unless it was a new build and by new build I mean brand spanking new

Yep remember those hydrogen powered cars, the only emission is water.

Trouble is hydrogen is currently very expensive to make and I remember reading they cannot piggy back and use the existing high pressure gas pipe network because hydrogen affects the pipework adversly. In other words a new hydrogen pipe network would need to be built.

Every ashp system I've worked on and installed runs the heating at 40 degrees, great for a new build with fantastic insulation and underfloor heating but just simply wouldn't work in most of the houses in England.
IME, they're also damn noisy. This is not a problem for commercial premises but in high-density housing it's going to drive people mad. If heat pumps are the solution then I think that ground-source units are a better bet but even these have their issues.

and when every one uses leccy the price goes up because your are stuck with it, you will need a tank fitted for your hot water, and best of all thers a power cut
no heating or cooking , we are allways on the edge in winter with supply, O and of course THE CAR,!!!!!!!
WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOMED

and when every one uses leccy the price goes up because your are stuck with it, you will need a tank fitted for your hot water, and best of all thers a power cut
no heating or cooking , we are allways on the edge in winter with supply, O and of course THE CAR,!!!!!!!
WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOMED
It’s true the gas man is doomed, we must die for humanity to live.

It’s true the gas man is doomed, we must die for humanity to live.

Over reaction Jim.

The Gas Man will take a hiatus from gas boiler installs for a period of time.

ASHP's will be installed on thousands of homes, by companies that have secluded Government Contracts to install these systems.
All tax payers will be contributing to these systems being installed.

When, in 2, 3 or 4 years, these systems become too much of an issue for the homeowner or the Goverment Funded company that installed them, the company will close or go bankrupt, leaving the home owner to contact their local Gas Man to re-install a gas boiler ( at the home owners own expense )

[ In a Nutshell ]

ASHP's will be installed on thousands of homes, by companies that have secluded Government Contracts to install these systems.
All tax payers will be contributing to these systems being installed.
We had some installed in our properties, with some ugly looking, massive in some rooms radiators/covers, the after about 6 months of being in, they ripped it out and fired up the main boiler house again 🙄🙄🙄 money well spent 😂

Reply to Air source heat pumps in the news again in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock