Search the forum,

Discuss Air being drawn into system following installation of new boiler/pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lost cause

Hi,
I hope someone out there can help. 3 weeks ago I had a Worcester green star 18ri boiler fitted to replace my old (but working) non condensing one. The pump, 3 way valve, thermostat and programmer were all renewed and the system power flushed with inhibitor added. I should mention I have a traditional vented system with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard. Valve is a boss therm, pump is grundfos 15 50/60. The system has improved in as much as the radiators heat up quicker and are hotter; the whole house is now warmer. When heating only is on everything is great and the system is silent. My problems start when the hot water is switched on. There are gurgling noises in the cylinder and hot water pipes and running water sounds into the hall radiator which only becomes partially hot. Bleeding the system for weeks with the pump off has not helped as each time the hot water is switched on the air is back. Incidentally i have turned the pump speed down from 3 to 2 which has improved the situation but is probably only masking the cause. I feel air is being drawn into the system as opposed to trapped air channelling into the hall radiator but don't understand why or from where as I have lived in this house for 22 years and never had a problem of this kind previously despite having had 2 different boilers and a couple of pump and valve replacements. Could air be getting drawn in from the vent pipe? This hasn't been tested although the installer has checked the f and e tank and pipe and says all looks fine. He wants to redo all the piping in the airing cupboard and install an air vent in there. Is this likely to help? Any advice welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should of been sorted at the time of boiler install really!
you can't just swap boilers and then charge to go back and alter pipework!
get your installer back to sort it foc!!!!!

You're right I know. Installer is dragging his heels about coming back although he knew about the problem when he left and wants to charge extra for the further work. Was just wondering if his thoughts on altering the pipe work were justified or could there be another solution? Many thanks.

Should of been sorted at the time of boiler install really!
you can't just swap boilers and then charge to go back and alter pipework!
get your installer back to sort it foc!!!!!

Why would he or should he sort it foc?? He's only done a replacement that doesn't make him responsible for the entire system.

Why would he or should he sort it foc?? He's only done a replacement that doesn't make him responsible for the entire system.
It's not the whole system read it. Why do half a job? It's wrong to install a new appliance on a system which by the sound of it is piped incorrectly.
if the boiler goes down under warranty and the manufacturers come out and it's fitted to an incorrect pipe arrangement they won't touch it until it's sorted so why should he pay???

I am happy to pay to upgrade the pipe work if that is what is required although the problem has only materialised since the work was carried out. Does having a new boiler usually mean the pipe work needs altering? Thanks.

It's not the whole system read it. Why do half a job? It's wrong to install a new appliance on a system which by the sound of it is piped incorrectly.
if the boiler goes down under warranty and the manufacturers come out and it's fitted to an incorrect pipe arrangement they won't touch it until it's sorted so why should he pay???

If he's quoted for a boiler replacement then he's done what he's quoted for.

Thanks for your replies. Can I ask for your opinion on what may be the cause of the problem and if altering the pipe work would help rather than whether the installer should charge/I should pay? As already posted I am happy to pay to put the problem right although am curious as to why it's never happened before. In my way of thinking there can't be too much wrong with the existing pipe work if it's never drawn air in before or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If he's quoted for a boiler replacement then he's done what he's quoted for.
Take the money and run sounds like. I was trained properly and fought to respect customers and do a thorough job! Not half a job! Some obviously don't give give a toss do they???
this could get out of hand so im leaving it at that
get him back!

Take the money and run sounds like. I was trained properly and fought to respect customers and do a thorough job! Not half a job! Some obviously don't give give a toss do they???
this could get out of hand so im leaving it at that
get him back!

wow not a great one for a debate then? You're more than welcome to your opinion and I shall have mine.

Feed and vent position sounds like the issue going back to the question.
Liz this what he wants to change?

Not entirely sure about the feed and vent aspect but he did say he would cap all the pipes in the airing cupboard and put in new ones to move the position of the pump higher and install an 'air jack' I think he called it. I think he said if air was trapped in the cylinder it couldn't get past the 3 port valve? Apologies my knowledge past this is quite limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air being drawn into system following installation of new boiler/pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock