Discuss Advice on heating in a new build property in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

If you have a flow temperature of 80 degrees and the rads are all getting hot, then that is the best you are going to get for heat in your property as currently installed and insulated. It us unlikely that there is anything wrong with the boiler.

If you want the boiler to operate more efficiently as a condensing boiler the flow temp needs to be reduced to give a return temp of less than 55 degrees C.

The temperature restriction on the Danfos TP1 can be removed by the parameters on menu 3 or 4 on installer settings

Last edited:
There isn’t a trv on the radiator on the ground floor in the hallway where the ground floor stat is but in the top bedroom where the second stat is there’s trvs on both radiators but no trv just outside the room on the landing outside

I just know when the plumber comes round he’ll just try fob us off with the usual crap. I’ve had them round a couple of times for leaks and you can tell they don’t want to be here

There isn’t a trv on the radiator on the ground floor in the hallway where the ground floor stat is but in the top bedroom where the second stat is there’s trvs on both radiators but no trv just outside the room on the landing outside

I just know when the plumber comes round he’ll just try fob us off with the usual crap. I’ve had them round a couple of times for leaks and you can tell they don’t want to be here
shouldn't be trvs on both rads in bedroom where second stat is

Yes the boiler goes to 00 and there’s 16 radiators in the whole house. I’ve been round and added up all the kw for the size and type of radiators and it comes to 8.7kw so we’ll in the boiler capacity
[automerge]1576444668[/automerge]
Sorry my mistake on both radiators on the top floor where the stat is there isn’t any trvs on them

Hmmmm i would say your boiler is undersized 16 rads and a Tribune cylinder is alot for a 15kw ideal i was expecting around 8- 10 rads max
Yes the boiler goes to 00 and there’s 16 radiators in the whole house. I’ve been round and added up all the kw for the size and type of radiators and it comes to 8.7kw so we’ll in the boiler capacity
[automerge]1576444668[/automerge]
Sorry my mistake on both radiators on the top floor where the stat is there isn’t any trvs on them
are you on 3 floors with boiler on ground floor and cylinder on top floor

Yes the cylinder on the top floor just outside the bedroom
tbh 15k on new builds is fine with level of insulation running 15 rads see it all the time. I know you shouldn't have to do this but if you go round all the rads make sure the lockshield valves are fully open. turn off the HW then turn both heating stats on and make sure pump is on max setting then turn all the rads off except one, run this rad for a minute or so so you know all the air in the pipwork has been cleared, go to next rad turn this one on then go back to previous and turn it off to clear next rad pipework of air. repeat this step one rad at a time till you have been round all the rads. turn system off and vent all rads and check system pressure. open all rads to max setting and run boiler with HW and both heating zones on and see if all rads get hot. if not its a balancing issue which site should sort out. had this so many times where boiler on ground floor being pumped up to top floor then back down to ground floor rads on microbore. pump setting can be sorted after you know all rads are balanced

Plumber came round earlier to look at the heating played with a couple of lockshields got the rads warm and then went as I suspected he would. The heating was on from 12 when he turned up and by half 4 it had gone from 15 degreees to 19 degrees so 4 degrees in 4 and a half hours. At 2pm she turned the upstairs stat off because the 2 smaller bedrooms wasn’t even warming up even with the doors closed. And all this has cost £3.50

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I’ve spoke to the site Forman and he’s getting the company that does all the insulation out to get there isn’t anything cold spots etc as the plumbers keep saying the radiators are hot it’s working fine. I’ve started writing down the times, temperatures and cost every hour of the day. I just wanted to ask if I’ve got theos the right with the boiler usage. Am I right in thinking if all my radiators add up to 8.5kw and the gas kwh is 4.23p then if the boilers running at 8.5kw it’ll be using 35p per hour?

No, you need to convert from gross to net. So at 4.23p /kwhr that equates to £0.40/hr. (multiply your calculation by 1.11).

Having said that, it is unusual ( in my experience) for a gas boiler to operate at full capacity for a prolonged period unless it is heating a swimming pool or the outside temp is consistently below -2 degrees C . This winter has, to date, been unusually warm - my gas bill for heat and water (in Oxon) is minimal ( £2.90 /day) for a 27kw system.

In the current market you should be paying around 2.7p per Kw (inc vat) for gas - Utility Point are around 2.45p per Kw. Gas prices are falling quite rapidly at the moment so be wary of locking into a fixed price deal

It doesn’t work that way, the gas consumption is based on your boiler KW rating, so yours is 15kw when on max setting, or thereabouts.

Reply to Advice on heating in a new build property in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock