Discuss Advice on a good boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ceedy

Having spent hard cash recently to have new control box and gas valve on our our old House warmer back boiler and its worked ok for 3 months then control box packed up again . arghh! always the same transisitor keeps blowing .

I'm going to bite the bullet and have another new ? boiler in .

The holding factor on this has been the 15mm feed , the distance from the meter and the house full of solid floors and cross boarded upstairs .
And the probable need for a new 22mm feed .
I've have worked out a route to cause least damage to the decoration.

So thorny question.. what is a GOOD relaible BOILER ! ,

4 bedrooms. 1 bathroom, 3 other rooms , currently been running well for years on a 55k BTU thorn house warmer back boiler .

Would prefer to keep the tank , and run a condensing boiler ? .

Been offered free a Potterton Profile 100e in working order? this has been running in a slighter larger home , with ther 15 feed . ok. but is 2nd hand ! .

Anyone got suggestions as to a reliable make ??.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing to do is find out what size boiler you really need!

The easiest way to do this is to use the Boiler Size Calculator

As for the gas pipe size, my son had a similar problem to you - back boiler fed by a pipe under a concrete floor from a meter on the other side of the house. The new boiler was to be installed in the bedroom airing cupboard, above the alcove to the right of the boiler. The only bit of gas pipe visible was a 15mm to the old boiler/fire. The installer extended this vertically using 22mm to the new location. The gas pressure was OK.

i'd upgrade the gas supply to 22mm, then you have full choice of boilers on the market, and you will know whichever boiler you put in it will work correctly.
in my house i have a remeha. there are lots of good boilers out there. dont be sold by guarantees though.

The only bit of gas pipe visible was a 15mm to the old boiler/fire. The installer extended this vertically using 22mm to the new location. .

You should not increase the pipe size in a run, only decrease, therefore you should not be going from 15mm to 22mm up wall to newly sited boiler, it can be dangerous, the bigger the pipe size increase and the longer the run,the more dangerous it can be

Do not think anyone is going to advise you to put a second hand non condensing boiler in

However some boilers to look at are

Worchester,vaillant,advanta,baxi,even stick the ideal classic he in there as old system ,only 'B' efficiency though.

Think you are making the right move in re placing your back boiler,was going to mention before but you had already spent alot of money on pcb,think it has served you well though

You should not increase the pipe size in a run, only decrease, therefore you should not be going from 15mm to 22mm up wall to newly sited boiler, it can be dangerous, the bigger the pipe size increase and the longer the run,the more dangerous it can be

Do not think anyone is going to advise you to put a second hand non condensing boiler in

However some boilers to look at are

Worchester,vaillant,advanta,baxi,even stick the ideal classic he in there as old system ,only 'B' efficiency though.

Think you are making the right move in re placing your back boiler,was going to mention before but you had already spent alot of money on pcb,think it has served you well though
And Iam sure that our acs tutor told us you could?
Sorry to hijack the thread, Puddle whats wrong with going from 15mm up to 22mm? never done it but Ive always wondered if you could.

re hi-jacking the thread, i agree with puddle in principle - just good practise.
however oldplumber can i ask you to explain your comment further - for my curiosty. ta.

...........and don't touch Potterton with a bargepole - pile of c**p

quote ;;;;;;;;;;;However some boilers to look at are

why do i never hear any one mention vokera as a good boiler ....
what do you think of that make of boiler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on a good boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock