Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed. Issues with underfloor heating and hot water system for new build in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I come and fix it for u? I'm reasonable and will get it working 100%

Not cheap not by a long way one 3k plus materials

we are all hitting are head against a brick wall, as we can all agree the install is undersized and that we would all have done it another way.
its now at the point it seems that the poor plumber that put it know that to.
its undersized a large cylinder requires independent 28mm flow and return in most cases.

Will have to test tomorrow and get back to you

Tell you plumber you make you out a sketch of the pipe work then we will be able to get a better look
Who specced the job for that kind of size I'd like to think there was a me consultation in design

Tell you plumber you make you out a sketch of the pipe work then we will be able to get a better look
Who specced the job for that kind of size I'd like to think there was a me consultation in design

Nope but his mate knows all about boilers n stuff

Guys, look at the picture, this isn't undersized, its 35mm and 28mm. The picture is deceiving but it is larger Pipework than you think.

Carrera, the flow to hot water cylinder valve tees off the main run as it were, then before it gets to the hot water zone valve it tees off again, what's that for?

this is a Pipework issue, I'm sure of it, somewhere in that plant room, maybe with a combination of balancing chucked in as well.

Last edited:
NOT WORKING

undersized / designed wrong / needed re-done/

very helpful. If it were undersized Pipework the cylinder would be robbing all the heat as the resistance to UFH would be too high.

And putting the smaller pump back in and it still working the same as it was is proof of that.

Its getting to ufh circuits but i bet its getting there great.
look at the resistance str after the pump you have the t's for the cylinder and which way would the water rather go-- to the ufh
and then you have the t's of to the flow return to the basement ufh manifold
to much resistance - no thinking in what way the water would behave
if you where honest looking at that pic you would never install it that way, its just wrong.
if it was pumped independently everything would work

i always price so that it works with zero defects and that comes with a extra cost.

Guys, look at the picture, this isn't undersized, its 35mm and 28mm. The picture is deceiving but it is larger Pipework than you think.

It's undersized it needs a low loss header and re piped properly
As already said big drop at flow meters is a big giveaway

Carrera, the flow to hot water cylinder valve tees off the main run as it were, then before it gets to the hot water zone valve it tees off again, what's that for?

this is a Pipework issue, I'm sure of it, somewhere in that plant room, maybe with a combination of balancing chucked in as well.
That next T leads to the small basement manifold which is also located in the plant room

And putting the smaller pump back in and it still working the same as it was is proof of that.

The manifolds are pumped the magna is acting as a shunt pump
It can't get enough flow through that 28mm IMO

Yes I agree I wouldn't have installed it anything like that and agree with you, always fit it right the first time dare than go back replacing the corners you have cut.

but just saying rip it out and start again is not a great help, and this fault is due to a different fault IMO.

He reality is no one really knows how well it's going to work once sorted, but when you are as balls deep as this now, it's worth trying to rectify before chucking the towel in completely. It's not the O.P's fault, whatever the price someone has been contracted to carry out this work. If they are confident they can get it running with this design then give them the benefit of the doubt.

if the O.P decides once/if it is running that it's not good enough, that is the time to question the design.

Whilst it's not our job to rectify, the post is asking for advice.

Its one of the more interesting posts anyway!

That next T leads to the small basement manifold which is also located in the plant room

I know it's not what you want to hear mate but we are just trying to help where not just slating your plumbers work you have a problem I'm sure you paid big money for this job

Plumbing is a funny thing it could be plumbed crap but it can work as far as the customer is concerned as long as he turns the heAt on he gets heat it's grand but unfortunately that's not the case
For a smaller house your set up probably be grand but not a house that size
It really should of been designed by a M&E consultant with spec they would not do it that way I can guarantee that

The manifolds are pumped the magna is acting as a shunt pump
It can't get enough flow through that 28mm IMO

are you sure, where's the pump for the cylinder , the bypass circuit and why is the pump wired directly to the boiler?

Yes I agree I wouldn't have installed it anything like that and agree with you, always fit it right the first time dare than go back replacing the corners you have cut.

but just saying rip it out and start again is not a great help, and this fault is due to a different fault IMO.

He reality is no one really knows how well it's going to work once sorted, but when you are as balls deep as this now, it's worth trying to rectify before chucking the towel in completely. It's not the O.P's fault, whatever the price someone has been contracted to carry out this work. If they are confident they can get it running with this design then give them the benefit of the doubt.

if the O.P decides once/if it is running that it's not good enough, that is the time to question the design.

Whilst it's not our job to rectify, the post is asking for advice.

Its one of the more interesting posts anyway!

Looking at a bad picture of half an installation don't think where going to see the full picture
Yes he ha asked for advice and I do believe he has had good advice
The bet seems to have checked all the normal causes that it could be so now need to look at it deeper
As all were doing is just guessing now but as almost everyone has stated already it looks undersized

are you sure, where's the pump for the cylinder , the bypass circuit and why is the pump wired directly to the boiler?

The magna is the pump for cylinder
Ps I'm not an electricians ask me one I know lol

Well, maybe that's where we disagree, looks like 35mm and 28mm UFH circuits with 22mm towel rail circuit to me. Can't be sure but the hw circuit looks like it could be 28mm as well.

Well, maybe that's where we disagree, looks like 35mm and 28mm UFH circuits with 22mm towel rail circuit to me. Can't be sure but the hw circuit looks like it could be 28mm as well.

Yes there is some 35mm but coming off 28mm from boiler the 35mm is useless

To me when the underfloor and hot water on together
The flow that all them manifolds need and don't forget 6 pumps going and a shunt pump there starving the hot water coil the wY it's plumbed

As has been said a few times if you was to shut down manifolds one at a time eventually you will get the heating and hot water going
But needs re plumbed

I welcome all the input, I am not trying to defend or slate the plumber. I am just trying to get to a working system. I am not wedded to this or any other design.

Yes I paid a lot for the install, wasn't the cheapest quote, but these guys do 6 or 7 houses this size or similar and came recommended.

design was left to them, as it is on most of there jobs.

ripping up floors is not an option, ufh pipes are in.

ripping down ceilings is something I don't really want to do, and without doing this I cannot plumb the manifolds back separately

i am just getting slated at the monument by the wife and kids every time the hot water isn't hot!

put the immersion on, and enjoy christmas.

it will get sorted with the help from this forum

Even with only one manifold going the hot water doe not work with the heating

To me the only way to do this now

1 put in a low loss header and re pipe the boiler room
Separate feeds to the underfloor pipework you have in place
Separate feeds to rad circuit
And separate to cylinder
All with there own pumps there letting them work on there own

Or if you have the room I'd put in a buffer tank
And pipe from buffer

It's hard for you I understand as your the one who gets the grief at home and then listening to advice here I'm the worst for making it sound like I'm just slating the plumber not the best at making posts sound nice and friendly but
I don't blame the boy on site as he probably been told to do it that way
And on a smaller house probably be no problem at all

how many circuits can we divid the system into as it sits without lifting floorboards/causing too much damage

Looks to me 6 manifolds 3flows 3 returns and flow return to rad circuit

Do you have the sheet with the calcs for the underfloor Spec manifold sizes pipe length ect

buffer would be a good idea.
only gas at the minute and in the future you will be looking at more heat sources and buffer ideal for that.

My understanding is the UFH pumps only circulate the blended water in the circuits, there is a clear path through from flow to return and the UFH only takes primary flow water to make up the lost heat in the circuit. The flow and return to manifold will need balancing to 20 degree differential once the whole system can be run.

as it is they are probably not balanced and the return temp is being prematurely raised which will cause the boiler to cycle.

The hw is not working due to a very low resistance circuit (much lower than cylinder circuit) maybe as described above, or if what carrera is saying is true, reverse circulation through the cylinder.

the magna is the main pump and when you consider what it's doing, should be man enough. The Pipework should be up to the job if I understand the design.

My advise would be to tee in the hot water return independently to ensure it's not reverse circulating, double check everything in that circuit and the Pipework for blockage.

the boiler connections are 28mm and the internals are probably 22mm, it's the overall resistance not one small section of pipe that will probably be negligible.

Last edited:
Looks to me 6 manifolds 3flows 3 returns and flow return to rad circuit

Do you have the sheet with the calcs for the underfloor Spec manifold sizes pipe length ect

Yes , you might be able to get one more with a bit of fiddling

You would end up with 3 manifolds on one circuit, and 3 independent manifolds, so four feeds

Yes , you might be able to get one more with a bit of fiddling

You would end up with 3 manifolds on one circuit, and 3 independent manifolds, so four feeds

What size are the manifolds on the one line of 28mm flow
How many ports on manifolds

My understanding is the UFH pumps only circulate the blended water in the circuits, there is a clear path through from flow to return and the UFH only takes primary flow water to make up the lost heat in the circuit. The flow and return to manifold will need balancing to 20 degree differential once the whole system can be run.

as it is they are probably not balanced and the return temp is being prematurely raised which will cause the boiler to cycle.

The hw is not working due to a very low resistance circuit (much lower than cylinder circuit) maybe as described above, or if what carrera is saying is true, reverse circulation through the cylinder.

the magna is the main pump and when you consider what it's doing, should be man enough. The Pipework should be up to the job if I understand the design.

My advise would be to tee in the hot water return independently to ensure it's not reverse circulating, double check everything in that circuit and the Pipework for blockage.

the boiler connections are 28mm and the internals are probably 22mm, it's the overall resistance not one small section of pipe that will probably be negligible.

The blended water will be the full flow if the boiler can't heat the demand on the heating
6 manifolds 6 pumps going on a flow out of boiler at 28mm don't matter if some of pipework is 35mm won't get the flow rate out it needs that's my opinion anyway

So your telling me that Pipework won't be able to cope with 6k of heat (min output fully modulated approx)?

Of course it will. But not if it's coming back at almost full temperature, it'll cycle.

the problem is to much flow, not to little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed. Issues with underfloor heating and hot water system for new build in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock